Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

Perhaps there was another artist he could have compared them to given the current pickle Ryan is in.

That’s a good article, I’m sure the wise guys will be along immediately to make snide comments about it.

Cork same team apparently. Heard Fitzgibbon might be coming back, sounds unlikely you’d imagine.

He left out that Aussie is a tramp on the pitch and liable to see yellow or red.

2 Likes

Yeah, bizarre that he would profile him and not even have a sentence or two in relation to on field discipline

Wrong thread

He’s not that kind of columnist

3 Likes

Yeah, couldn’t think of the thread title.

I was getting that Galvin was unlikely to return from your posts, but they made a bit of a deal of saying he was staying to help out with the panel etc?

A face saving exercise from Galvin. I think he will probably rejoin the panel in January but if he doesn’t buck up his attitude and commitment off the field Lohan won’t waste too much time on him.

1 Like

@myboyblue what is the surface like in Portlaoise? Rain promised overnight and into tomorrow morning assume it won’t be a huge issue or is it likely to cut up?

It was chronic earlier in the year, but the lockdown allowed Colm Mc overhaul it and it was immaculate last time I saw it in person. Its good for taking water too, and they also have a machine in there if there is lying water. It shouldn’t cut up too back I’d imagine, its been a grand week in Laois for the most part.

I didnt see any of the Westmeath Dublin game last Saturday, that would be a good indicator.

It looked good last week for Dublin Westmeath but the week was dry leading into it.

Ah it’ll be grand, its a grand day out here now. Its been decent all week. Shouldn’t be an issue bar there’s a torrential downpour of biblical proportions.

A shame, the youngfella has buckets of talent.

1 Like

He has but I find it funny that lads on here from outside Clare accuse Tony Kelly of getting free passes when he doesn’t play well when he is probably the most maligned player within the county we have when he or the team give a flat performance or get blown out of it physically and he lives the life of an intercounty hurler 365 days a year.

Galvin isn’t a million miles behind Kelly in terms of natural talent but goes missing every bit as much and most of is standout performances in recent years have come as a sweeper playing 30 odd yards from goal or as a free man dropping back towards left half back and having the ball fed to him and in fairness he is excellent at doing both. But you would struggle to pick out a standout performance from him where he had to play as an orthodox midfielder and track a man or do the dirty work - the second half against Galway in 2016 is about the only one I can recall yet he seems to get very little criticism for his performances or no shows. Sadly his attitude off the pitch was tolerated by the two previous managers which is understandable given his ability but I also think it has a knock on effect in the dressing room.

Watching Kelly this year he has been lights out since January and looks to have finally matured into the player he has threatened to become, his workrate is far improved and I think we will see 4 or 5 very good years from him, hard to know if there is a team to put around him to win anything though. While Galvin is the same age and headed for the scrap heap barring a significant change.

What issues roughly? Lack of commitment or is he coked up like the Limerick lads?

Lazy and immature off the field. Don’t believe drugs are an issue but he would be fond of a night out and can be fairly obnoxious with drink in him leading him to getting into situations

Pity he has all the ability as you say he drove them in 2013 especially the first day I don’t think they would have won it without him. What does he work at?

A Primary School teacher :smile:

Or at least that is what he qualified as. Spent six years in Mary I to do his three year degree IIRC @Thomas_Brady might know more