Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

Loads of the neutrals supported us in 2018. It’s been forgotten about by some limerick fans.

The neutrals will always go for a county with the longest gap since winning, unless you are a stook who glorifies the Dublin footballers

1 Like

I know that. If Waterford were facing any other county in the final I’d be shouting for them. It’s only natural.

We all have great time for Waterford.

2 Likes

Pretty much, absolutely natural. You’ll have everyone bar limerick cheering for Waterford on Sunday and if I were to pick any county after limerick to win it Waterford would be top of my list.

I wouldn’t say there’s any county that hasn’t had a few dickhead fans that have been ungracious in victory.

All told I think it’s a tricky game to call. It’s been an odd championship and it’ll be an odd finish too. No result would surprise me at all. I don’t remember having such little opinion on a limerick game in years.

I’m not sure if I read it on here but there are some similarities between Galway/limerick in 2018 and limerick/Waterford on Sunday. We probably are a fresher team than Galway in fairness but I can see the angle. Waterford have serious momentum built up now.

I hope everybody enjoys the build up and the game anyway.

1 Like

There you are Fixed - teenies and twenties !!! :sweat_smile:

On a serious note I think Limerick’s good years came too late in one decade and possible too early In another .

Kk with 4 AIs were the team of the teenies

1 Like

If you were picking a team of the last decade it is probably 10 + lads split between Kilkenny and Tipp, with a couple of Galway lads and 3 from the remainder.

Murphy
Murphy-Burke-Barrett
Brendan Maher-De Burca-Paudie Maher
Lynch-Mick Fennelly
Richie Hogan-Canning-TJ Reid
Lar Corbett-Callinan-Horgan

You could make an arguement for Finn and Noel Connors in the full backline, Padraig Walsh and Mannion in the half back line, Barron at midfield and Shefflin, Kelly and Gleeson in the forwards by din of all three winning HOTY but Shefflin’s best days were in the previous decade while the other two were inconsistent compared to the six lads picked ahead of them. You could argue for David Burke ahead of Lynch midfield but Lynch has a HOTY, same reason Lar got the nod.

1 Like

Good team and I agree with 90% of it but there is no way De Burca should be in there instead of Mannion. Most of the time he was a free man picking up bits and pieces from Barry Coughlan. He is having a good year now though. But Mannion should be 7 and Maher 6.

What we need is another drawn out tedious process to select Team of the Decade, complete with multiple heats.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t have much issue with that. Paudie Maher is the only nailed on choice, you could make an arguement for half a dozen others for the other two spots

1 Like

You’ll drive a few lads cracked with that you scamp

I already got one sure.

1 Like

Tony kelly needed to be named to create real debate.

1 Like

One lad will be looking for Harnedy and Lehane to be there :smiley:

Yeah true. I wouldnt have Finn next or near it. He relies on pure filth. I’ll never forget the treatment he dished out in 2018 All Ireland.

:roll_eyes:

Christ.

1 Like

You’ll do nuthin

Has there been a decline in great half backs compared to the three decades previous? Paudie Maher like him or loathe him will go down as a great but after that there haven;t been too many standout ones the previous decade. JJ spent most of the few years he hurled in the 10s as a full back and Tommy Walsh did most of his best hurling in the decade before.

De Burca, Hannon, Gearoid McInerney, Brian Hogan are all effective at what they do as centre backs and in the structure around them but all would be a few levels below the likes of Corcoran, Sean McMahon, Ken McGrath or Ronan Curran in their pomp. De Burca might make a leap that he has a bit more freedom under Cahill. Even Brendan Maher who is a very nice hurler had a number of years where he was not much more than a solid hurler for Tipp for a good part of the decade, granted some was injury related and probably needed the year he had last year to add to his status where in fairness he was excellent.

Maybe the fact that teams commit more players to the middle third and less ball drops down for the half backs to mop up and for half backs to standout in previous decades or has the increase in structure and tactics done away with the swashbuckling half back. Hopefully we see more of the likes of Kyle Hayes and Callum Lyons marauding up the field from wing back in this decade.

2 Likes

Teams just aren’t lorrying it down on top of the Mahers or McInerneys anymore. Kilkenny were on top of Tipp in last years all Ireland before they went long to Maher and Tipp scored a goal and the rest was history. There is now a change in the way the position is being played. You have to be able to follow the half forward back and also be good under a high ball.