Hurling League 2018

Hopefully Limerick can use this disrespectful interview by Joe Molloy as a further motivating factor for the season ahead.

2 Likes

Molloy asking are we playing a sweeper, what system are we playing. Nothing, half interested questions.

The cunt made sure to get the dig in about the 43 man squad though.

Not even a token mention of Malachy ffs.

2 Likes

I see on twitter that DCU beat UL 1-20 to 2-15 in the All Ireland Freshers Final and Wexford’s Damien Reck did absolutely untold from midfield.

Was that Paddy Broderick from the fenians?

No shit Sherlock

It was.

1 Like

Taking League form so far into consideration, you would be mad not to make Limerick All Ireland favorites.

http://www.igp-web.com/tipperary/newspapers/newsaccts.htm

They were worse over in Tipp

3 Likes

The fair of Cappawhite was no place for a man with a thin skull .

2 Likes

It’s obvious the Tipp lads were fitter and tougher, I think if you look at any subsequent sporting contests between the counties the results always favored Tipp.

1 Like

This was the 15 you fielded in championship season 1838

Nov 3, 1838
The latest murder in the county of Tipperary is that of Mr. Charles O’Keefe.
The Nenagh Guardian received this morning bring intelligence of violent
assault… The peasantry about Mr. Ashton Yates’s New Atlantis, the blessed
district of Borrisokane, are preparing by drilling of their forces. The
list of murders in Tipperary between 21st of July, 1838 and the 27th of
Oct., 1838.

1. John Kennedy, Curraghneddy
  2. A woman, name unknown, near Templemore.
  3. Edward Hogan, White-wall, Nenagh
  4. Shea, Toomevara
  5. John Toohy, Eggles
    6 Michael Flynn, Cloughjordan
  6. John Kenna, near Moneygall
  7. Michael Ryan, Knocknavoola
  8. William Brien, at Castle Otway.
  9. Michael Quin, Cashel
  10. Peggy Quinlisk, Borrisoleigh
  11. John Maher, Borrisoleigh
  12. Margaret Cahill, Cashel
  13. Roger Moylan, Thornhill
  14. Mr. Charles O’Keefe, Thurles

I think ye won the league that year. But got knocked out in the first round of the championship.

I saw that when I was a young lad! They were brilliant. I remember my grandmother fainting watching it. Was all a bit too much for her. That line about your man with the thin skull stuck with me.

A great line . Often quoted where Cappawhite is mentioned .

1 Like

Police reports are littered with deaths from fractured skulls in 1830s/1840s… Belt of a rock usually… Clare, Tipp, Limerick having recorded the highest levels of such activity…

As well as clan/family fights, you had a class element also and big farmers and small farmers often despised each other and battered the fuck out of each other… the three-year-olds v the four-year-olds were just some of the names they took on over the years… The original class element kicked off in Waterford and South Tipp between the caravats and shanavests…of course, and as that article on Capawhite says, some people just loved to fight back then also… The local priest in Toomevara was writing to Dublin Castle for help every week in around 1843/44… They told him to shove his thumb up his hole.

I remember reading about a 4 day battle in Doon in the 1840s… Some lad with a bit of drink was roaring and shouting about the three-year-olds when someone shut him up with a rock and smashed his skull. It was running battles for 4 days as the four-year-olds came for revenge…the police could do nothing without military support as both sides would turn on them if they got involved.

3 Likes

Some things never change :sunglasses:

Everything, Joe. Everything!

1 Like

Tipp lads had certain genetic advantages when it came to taking belts down the head

2 Likes

Sigh :pensive:

1 Like

Can lads stop spamming the Hurling League Thread?

Take the Genealogy talk to the relevant threads.

1 Like