Hurling Team of the Century 2000 - 2022

Not sure you can have Tony Kelly in there. Hard to have a player on board that hasn’t even won his own provincial title.

6 Likes

Burke was a better 3 than Delaney.

I think in naming these teams people should really shy away from the naming a back anywhere in the backs to put the best 6 players in rather than the best at a given position.

The two wings backs imv are Tommy Walsh and JJ Delaney. Delaney being the better wing back

3 Likes

Tony Kelly wouldn’t make my team too.

If Daithi Burke was/is overrated then we can pack up hurling.

He’s one of the best full backs to ever play the game ffs.

5 Likes

From Year 2000 - Present….

1 Brendan Cummins
2 JJ Delaney
3 Daithi Burke
4 Sean Finn
5 Paudie Maher
6 Declan Hannon
7 Tommy Walsh
8 Tom Kenny
9 Michael Fennelly
10 TJ Reid
11 Henry Shefflin
12 Geroid Hegarty
13 Tony Kelly
14 Joe Canning
15 Seamus Callinan

( Extended Panel / Unlucky to lose out )
GK Quaid
Def Ollie Canning
Def Noel Hickey
Def Tony Browne
MF Jerry O’Connor
MF Derek Lyng
F Austin Gleeson
F Eoin Larkin
F Eoin Kelly ( Tipp )

2 Likes

Would you really have Callanan before Eoin Kelly? That would nearly border blasphemous in Tipp id have thought, prime Kelly was ridiculous.

Seamie was influential in 2016-19 wins. Had big games/seasons.

We’d in reality seen the best of Eoin pre 2010 sadly.

It’s all opinion. In saying that in 2012 I wouldn’t have dreamed of Callanan achieving what he went on to do.
He is a class bit of stuff imo

Your snub of 2 time HOTY won’t be forgotten.

Its a Dub talking about hurling in fairness.

If you swap Tom Kenny for Cian Lynch you might be onto something

2 Likes

Fitzhenry
Finn
O’Sullivan
Nash
Walsh
Hannon
Delaney
Kelly
Lynch
Reid
Shefflin
Larkin
Mullane
Canning
Callanan

Was it Tom Kenny who famously never won an all star?

You’d get away with diarmuid o Sullivan at 3 with hannon ahead of him but he isn’t better than noel hickey, Mike Casey, Daithi Burke and jj delaney among others.

1 Like

Weak era for goalies compared to the 90s. Padraic Maher isn’t in that team for me. A great and consistent player but JJ and Walsh are the preeminent wing backs.

2 Likes

McGrath was special. I’d liken him to Ciaran Carey. An elemental hurler, he was awesome.

1 Like

Peak Diarmuid O’Sullivan was probably 1999-2006. In those eight seasons I’d say you could count on one hand the amount of times Cork conceded more than one goal in championship play. In five All-Ireland finals his teams conceded only three goals, never more than one in any final. Four times in seven All-Ireland semi-final games the opposition were held goalless. That’s a formidable record.

2 Likes

Any man not picking Fitzhenry would want to take a long hard look at himself.

2 Likes

No, that was James McGarry

1 Like

You can add 4 All Stars to that as well.Weight balloned towards the end but any discussion for no 3 from the turn of 2000 would have him in it, anyone saying otherwise hasnt a glimmer.

1 Like

I like that one generally, but in my mind, there’s no way O’Sullivan is the full-back. I’d have Hickey, Burke, JJ ahead of him.

Also, as much as I like Nash and think he has revolutionised the position to an extent, think he needs a few more years of top quality to get that spot. I’d still probably have Ollie Canning.

2 Likes