Derek McGrath (WD)

Physio
Barbie Kardashian (LK)

Press officer
Tom Humpries (CK)

Dietician
Mark Landers (CK)

4 Likes

Michael Kavanagh is always left absent from these convos…

There’s probably a reason for that

JJ Delaney was obviously a better hurler than Diarmuid O’Sullivan but was he a better full back? I would say not. In any case the question is surely irrelevant given Delaney is unquestionably the best player ever in his main position at 7.

I’d have O’Sullivan ahead of Hickey. Burke is a great full back and a great defender but again I don’t think I’d have him ahead of O’Sullivan in terms of overall value.

O’Sullivan was a talismanic presence to Cork, his value to the team went way, way beyond his direct involvement in the play. He was the beating heart of the team. Plus I like my full backs to be fearsome monsters.

It’s because Nash has revolutionised the position I’d have him in, and I think three All-Irelands in that position while being utterly integral to the team’s attacking modus operandi is more than enough to be front and centre in the conversation. I think he’d be my HOTY this year.

Treasurer: Darren Gleeson (TY)
Psychologist: Redser O’Grady (TY)
Player welfare committee: Frank Murphy/Gerald McCarthy/Justin McCarthy (CK)

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl:
Not only would that team bate all before them,it would be some craic on the bus.

Tom Kenny never got one either according to wikipedia. He should’ve had one at some stage. Himself and Jerry were very strong there for a couple of years.

1 Like

Bizarrely underrated hurler

1 Like

He’s a fraction behind Sean Finn for me

Deane was special

The most deserving Cork hurlers would be Sherlock, Diarmaid O’Sullivan, Curran, Ben and Jerry.

Hard to find a spot for any of them

Maybe move Tommy Welsh to wing back instead of Maher, put Sherlock in the corner,
Curran is ahead of McGrath IMO but it’s close

Would have thought that Brendan Maher would be more highly rated in Tipp.

Ah here you really don’t think Ken McGrath could do the stuff that Hannon does? He was in a different class altogether.

Sherlock while an excellent hurler probably didn’t have the longevity to be in the mix for these types of teams. Played 8 seasons for Cork yet Mulcahy and Murphy kept him out of the team for the last three.

Brian Murphy was a very underrated player in the grand scheme of things. A pure defender.

The Rock took a few too many roastings for me to be considered up there with the great full backs. None of the great full backs were shifted to corner back in their supposed pomp like the Rock was in 2003 either.

Curran was a rolls Royce and in the same class as any centre back who has played in the last 40 years and Ben the same in the forwards. Both are very much undervalued in these types of discussions.

I never got the Jerry hype. At his peak he was very effective but that was for all of maybe three seasons. Kenny was every bit as effective and gave performances of real quality level for twice as long

2 Likes

Curran is the closest to a shout there I think. Can’t see Sherlock overtake Canning or Finn. Ben O’Connor was one of the best ever but it’s a real show of the strength of the forwards that there really is no chance to squeeze him in. Comparatively less competition further back.

1 Like

Ken McGrath could do anything.

5 Likes

Neither as good as Noel Hickey imo

Murphy
Finn
Hickey
Canning
Welsh
Hannon
Delaney
Fennelly
Lynch
Shefflin
Ken McGrath
Canning
E Kelly
TJ
Tony Kelly

Subs Gillane, P Maher, Mullane, Gardiner, Byrnes and Brian Murphy

3 Likes

Eoin Larkin always seemed to me to be a seriously underrated hurler when these discussions invariably arise,Im guilty of it as well,it should be noted

That man performed at a level that you would rarely see for years upon years while simultaneously battling personal problems and missing a shed load of collective training due to his army commitments.

If I had one word to describe him it would be silk.The side step,the ariel ability,the accuracy and the finesse was just mesmerising when he was in full flow.He was a true artist.

3 Likes

Quaid
Finn
D Burke
T Walsh
JJ
Ken
Paudie
Cian Lynch
TK
Hego
King Henry
TJ
Eoin Kelly
Joe Canning
Callanan

Larkin for Hego may be the one change.

Mick Fennelly was dominant but longevity and injuries meant he didn’t play enough for my team.

Any team Eoin Kelly is not on is a joke.

3 Likes