Hurling Team of the Century 2000 - 2022

Bar win an all Ireland

:rollseyes: :rollseyes:

1 Like

We’re drafting you gee bag. Log in to the app.

3 Likes

Like it or not , hegarty is as effective a hurler as there has been.

4 Likes

He is. But in the half back line, no. In Midfield, no.

Underrated team of the century so far. Lads who were top class players for a long time but are generally overlooked for these types of teams. David Burke’s at the tail end of his career but aside from him I have tried to pick retired players. Hard to think of too many solid full backs who were dry good but just below the mix for the team of last 20 odd years. Went for Brian Hogan was was a centre back but deserves recognition. Cathal Barrett will probably beat out Connors once he is done.

Stephen O’Keefe

Brian Murphy-Brian Hogan-Noel Connors

Brendan Maher-Curran-Tony Browne

David Burke-Derek Lyng

Ben O’Connor-Richie Power-Richie Hogan

Lar Corbett-Callinan-Paul Flynn

2 Likes

Darragh Ryan, Philip Maher, Tommy Doyle or Peter Kelly for full back?

The first two only had a few years of it in the 2000s but were excellent.

Kelly is a half decent shout, Paul Curran also crossed my mind but he probably played as much in the corner

Paul Curran got two All Stars at full back. Not bad for a lad who probably never hit the ball beyond 50 yards for Tipp. Did the simple things right, was tough as nails, and was well able to dish out the dirt.

Mcinerney on 13 alone is worth consideration

1 Like

Cody transitioned Kavanagh out of the starting team when he was only 27/28 did he? May be wrong but I have memories of him often being a sub in the late 00’s for Kilkenny.

He started the 2009 final anyway, kept the ball in play for one of the goals.

He was excellent as the free man once Benny Dunne got sent off. Hoovered up ball

I find it very hard to see how you could categorise most of those players as “underrated”.

Underrated in the sense that aside from a couple of them getting the odd token mention none have got any kind of serious consideration on here to make the 2000 to 2022 team being discussed.

Darragh Ryan

1 Like

Please check your texts.

To be fair that half forward line would be widely regarded as top quality.

I know what you’re getting at but I’d have someone like Harnedy, Molumphy and T Morrissey in that line.

I’d have Conor McGrath in that full forward line too. Just a class player. Davy really never got the best out of him, but he was a top player.

I’ll have to put up a team of my own after a few hours’ thoughts.

My team:

1. Dónal Óg

2. Finn

3. Noel Hickey

4. JJ

5. Tommy

6. Hannon

7. Padraic Maher

8. Mick Fennelly

9. Lyng

10. Hego

11. Ken McGrath

12. TJ

13. Eoin Kelly (Tipp)

14. Henry

15. Joe Canning

This is on their day and in this century. I would have DJ in that team in a heart beat but he was gone beyond his best by 2000 even though he was still class. If I were to take one out for him it would be McGrath or Kelly. Midfield too was tough, there’s a lot of power there and you could take those two out and put in two others and not lose anything. Not easy to do tbf.

County count is Cork 1, Limericks 3, KK 7, Tipp 2, Waterford 1 & Galway 1 - that would be about right from a who won what in this century.

Cian Lynch for Lyng surely?

2 Likes