Hurling - The Hand Pass Rule - a thread

Why not change it back? After all it is a stick and ball game, not handball.

I thought Galway in the 80s did a lot of handpassing? Cork were more a running team I would have thought than a ‘working the opportunity’ team with handpassing. The examiner podcast madness of football is brilliant with regard to how football has changed and breaks down the stats etc for big matches over the last 50 years. Be interesting to see similar done with hurling.

1 Like

Before my time

I’m not sure how you change it back tbh?

Golf is sort of comparable given the improvements in equipment, pitches and the physical development of players.

Only handpass off the hurl

1 Like

Will lead to even more horrendous rucks.

How so?

I didn’t see any of the games where it was trialled but, as I’ve said before, I’ve no issue with making the change as long as people are willing to go with the other side effects.

I, personally, don’t have an issue with rucks; they’ve always been part of the game, they just go on for longer now; they remain a contest for possession but, admittedly, they’re not the prettiest side of the game.

I do think making the steps rule easier to ref would solve a lot of problems too.

The freshers trials suggests the players adapted very well in a very short space of time with the ratio of strikes increasing which can only be a good thing.

1 Like

The Limerick terminator would be in trouble. Not sure he ever strikes the ball.

He’s a very good brick flicker of the ball but he wouldn’t get away with his usual 5/6 “hand passes”.

Did it just get called the brick flick as brick rhymes with flick or was he the first fella to do it? Shefflin was the first fella I saw finishing a goal with an overhead flicky bat thing. Fuck me it’s incredible the lack of innovation in gaa over the first 120 or so years. I used be a great man for letting a football coming at me hard along the ground through my legs thus bamboozling the corner back and running back around the other side of him to pick it up.

1 Like

A decent full back wouldnt let you do that twice.

Of course they wouldn’t but it got the crowd off their feet the first time and caused him to back off a little the next time.

1 Like

They’d all be standing when you do it the second time as well when me mans full back colleague anticipates it and covers across to absolutely burst you into the ditch. I’m calling bullshit on this move outside U12 or Cumann na mBunscol.

1 Like

@Arthur and @glenshane are one and the same.

It was a named after Brick Walsh thing. He’d win the ball at centre back and burst out and then flick off one handed to a midfielder. Donal O’Grady Cork was big on coaching lads to bat the ball to the net.

I think it was Anthony Daly that coined the term in between guffaws.

3 Likes

I think it might actually have been Cummins.

Players definitely did it before Brick but I think it was noticeable as he went through entire games without even attempting to strike the ball in another way.

3 Likes