Hurling - The Hand Pass Rule - a thread

Cian Lynch used do a variation of it where he’d hold the hurley with one hand in the middle of the hurley and scoop the ball off to pass it to another player. I’ve never really seen anyone else doing it and he’s stopped doing it now.

It was Daly. Brick was a footballer who couldn’t hurl to save his life. It was soul crushing to see him get the ball on his own forty yards out from goal because you knew the ball was never going over the bar.

1 Like

In fairness to him, he made the most of his career considering such limitations. He was a serious centre-back imo.

And when he went back up into the forwards at the end of his career, he was effective and knew what he was and wasn’t able to do.

2 Likes

Davy had the bright idea to play him full back in the 7 goal snafu against Tipp in 2011.

Delicous

1 Like

Massive confidence booster for @Arthur

1 Like

As said here before, I would ban any kind of handpass. Wouls open up the game, speed up the game and make the game more skilful.

2 Likes

Up there with Davy’s decision to play ken McGrath full back.

Have they fact-checked the 75% of handpasses being fouls or is it just nonsense guesswork?

Runours are hes being drafted by into the MLB as a pitcher.

The kenny powers terminator

1 Like

Not at all. @endakenny and his Premierview podcast co hosts have worked themselves into a frenzy about the handpass and it’s keeping them up at night

2 Likes

I’d be subbing you off straight away after that,unless it was in an under 10s match

Kevin Cashman in the Tribune used to call Galway “the jennet express”

1 Like

Last time I tried it was minor league marking my buddy from school more for a laugh. Manager was not happy but it’s actually a very effective move and the general ‘aul lad’ response to it then and now probably sums up why there were so few innovations in the first 100 years or so.

It’s a bullshit move,pick it up and put it over the bar.If I wanted a lad on the field to jump over the ball as it’s coming to him I’ll stick on No 26

1 Like

Completely disagree. If I saw a young lad on my team pull it off now Id love it. Fuck that risk averse shite. Picking up a difficult ball running away from the goal with the corner back up your hole or allowing it run through and turning the corner back who wasn’t expecting it so you are now running on to the ball with him out of the picture.
If it went wrong though I’d bollock him out of it and him to bend his back to fuck.

Christ I’d have murdered you had you come into my corner of the field with that shite.

I wouldnt have risked it against a real hardy cunt like you

Every sport should be constantly looking at itself.

As Barry Kelly said, hurling has become a possession game partly due to the illegal hand pass.

Limerick are going to win the all Ireland if they play hand ball or ground hurling. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to make the game as easy on the eye as possible.

3 Likes

Conor Clancy made his career by plucking the ball out of the sky and spooning it off one handed a good 15 years before the Brick flick was coined.