Hurling - The Hand Pass Rule - a thread

That’s just a total misunderstanding of what has value on the field of play

I used be a great man at doing the first bit by accident.

3 Likes

What the heck are you on about?

No handpass will just mean players in possession will be easily bottled up. More rucks and frees

That’s just saying something for the sake of it.

Hurling, Gaelic football, NFL, association Football, basketball etc are all now possession games because that offers the best odds of winning. Removing the handpass wouldn’t force the game away from valuing posession, teams will just pivot to some other negative way of achieving the same thing.

Seems a lot of lads whinging about the handpass supported the split season which allowed a sport with six competent teams go semi professional.

Turns out it was a bad idea.

It’s the exact same as rugby. Where very few can compete and the spectacle isn’t as good for fans.

1 Like

The freshers trial worked very well. Teams could still retain possession but there was more striking and turnovers also.

Hurling was always the most random of all sports and we have lost that. This rule could get some of it back.

Btw what other way could a team retain possession if the throw hand pass was banned?

It will lead to more spoiling, frees and broken play. Midfield will be a total quagmire with more injuries and increased rates of head trauma. Big difference between freshers league and battle hardened senior teams. It would be a mess

I don’t think it will, players will adapt and will move the ball quicker. The game will far better. Of course, if this is trialled and the opposite prevails I will admit I am wrong but what annoys me is people totally dismissing the new rule or even saying “they are all legal hand passes!!”.

A genuine handpass is grand. Its a fraction slower and is easier to intercept.

The throw is a curse.

I almost walked out of an All Ireland Semi Final last year when Clare systematically ran up the field throwing the ball to each other which almost resulted in a goal.

It was RIP Hurling stuff.

Refs just need to blow 100 frees a game until lads get the message.

3 Likes

Who knew the handpass was saving lads from such dire consequences to their health?! If the handpass is changed it would be much less profitable to bring 12 or 13 lads back into defence as happens now, as once possession is won back it would be much harder to maintain it without the comfort blanket of the handpass. Fewer lads filtering back, a more stretched game, and more striking will reduce rucks rather than increase them.

4 Likes

It’s gone too far. Refs can’t blow 100 times per game as you’ll have Derek, Donal og etc telling the ref to let the game flow.

It was great craic to watch and you don’t really get that roar from the crowd anymore that you used get when a full back would burst out and puck the ball as far up the field as he could (usually aimlessly).

Those days are long gone though. Babs had a bit of a point somewhere that time in his mixed up comments about players education levels. There’s too much at stake now in terms of the effort they put in and management of their lives to go out at the weekend and play a lottery.

I think skill levels were fundamentally lower in the past also and teams would not have been able to execute a possession game even if they wanted.

I’m not against trialling alternative hand pass rules further but regardless of what any new rules there are I think hurling, at the highest levels at least, will remain a possession game moreso than a territorial game.

Professionalism has ruined every sport.

The gaa for 20 years has been trundling towards professionalism.

When will people wake up.

We are never going back to that point but there was a nice balance 10 years ago between possession and territorial hurling. It will still remain a possession game as any of those fresher games will once again highlight.

1 Like

Removing the handpass in its present guise would put a huge premium on being able to strike well off both sides.

1 Like

The Tipp lads have seen the penalties in the NP/Doon game and have figured how to bait Limerick!

Professionalism would ruin the gaa, i completely agree with you on that

I still find hurling very exciting.

There can be the odd game completely ruined by frees alright - the inconsistency in what frees are given for, and the amount of time devoted in a match to fellas strolling around hitting frees and 65s is imo a bigger problem than handpasses or possession.

I don’t see handpasses as a blight on the game, but under the current ruling they are unreffable, and that in itself is the problem.

3 Likes

It is basically here in all but name now at inter county level.

That’s the issue.