In The Courts

Fucking twisted. .

That’s rough

Acupuncturist loses injuries claim against Dublin Bus over fall down stairs while holding items in both hands

How on earth did this get to court?

Ms Li had been represented by three different legal teams in the case, but she was representing herself in the hearing

1 Like

Yeah, hard to believe three different legal teams took it on in the first place.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2022/1128/1338835-derek-boyd/

How any time was suspended is beyond me

2 Likes

This guy needs to sign up to TFK.

10 Likes

The old Civil Service gag. A lad is being shown to his new office overlooking Kildare Street by the Porter. He looks out the window and admires the view. I wouldn’t do that in the morning sir, says the Porter. Why’s that? You’ll have nothing to do in the afternoon.

23 Likes

What the fuck is wrong with her forehead

1 Like

Fivehead

Murderer Graham Dwyer lost his cool in court — and his mask finally slipped - Independent.ie(xtremepush+

Anyone do the needful?

Murderer Graham Dwyer lost his cool in court — and his mask finally slipped

Killer’s previously cool demeanour vanished at the Court of Appeal as DPP made its case in his appeal against conviction for Elaine O’Hara’s murder

Graham Dwyer attempting to overturn his conviction

Elaine O'Hara was killed by Graham Dwyer

Graham Dwyer attempting to overturn his conviction

Ali Bracken

December 04 2022 02:30 AM

Convicted murderer Graham Dwyer’s mask finally slipped on Friday morning. The Cork-born architect picked the worst place possible to lose his cool — in front of the three appeal judges he is trying to convince of his innocence in his bid to have his conviction overturned.

The 50-year-old, known for his calm demeanour throughout his 2015 trial for the murder of childcare worker Elaine O’Hara, was a picture of pent-up frustration which boiled over in the Court of Appeal.

poster

Graham Dwyer’s reasons for appeal revealed

00:00

01:17

720p

720p

480p

360p high

360p low

Share this video

Mr Justice George Birmingham, president of the Court of Appeal, threatened to remove Dwyer from his courtroom after the killer repeatedly interrupted a lawyer for the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

The judge issued the warning after the former Foxrock-based architect interjected on three occasions, taking issue with what was being said by Sean Guerin SC, for the DPP.

“We have already had one interruption. If there is another he will be removed to the cells,” the judge sternly told his legal team. Dwyer was visibly agitated, a far cry from the detached manner that characterised his behaviour throughout his murder trial.

Dwyer stopped interrupting after the warning, perhaps realising the foolishness of offending the very court he is trying to persuade of his innocence. He instead began to pass notes to his solicitor.​

Seven years have passed since Dwyer stood trial for the murder of 36-year-old Ms O’Hara. The years in prison have visibly changed the man.

He cut a sharp figure during his two-day appeal that began on Thursday, dressed in an expensive-looking dark navy suit and blue tie. His long hair had been tightly cut and he has a defined bald spot at his head’s crown. He is the picture of an average middle-class professional man, rather than a killer convicted of one of the most sadistic and depraved murders in Irish history.

On the first day, Dwyer sat quietly listening to his lawyers outline the reasons they say his conviction should be considered unsafe and therefore overturned.

He scribbled notes, took his glasses on and off and watched the judges intently as they listened to the case outlined by his defence team. Dwyer kept his eyes firmly on the three judges, occasionally consulting and writing in his own notes in a blue folder.

​Since he was jailed, it is understood Dwyer has been heavily involved in his own appeal, throwing himself into every aspect of his bid to have his murder conviction thrown out.

He made little eye contact with anyone other than the judges and his own lawyers in the courtroom. He kept his eyes diverted from Ms O’Hara’s father Frank and his partner Sheila Hawkins.

Neither did Dwyer appear to make eye contact with his own father, Sean, or his sister, Mandy Wroblewski, who have stood by him. The two families sat closely together in courtroom, just one pew apart, with Ms O’Hara’s family sitting nearer to the front of the courtroom and closer to their loved one’s convicted murderer.

During last week’s appeal hearing, both families, though poles apart, showed the same dignity and respect for the proceedings as they did during Dwyer’s two-month murder trial in 2015.

Present in court, too, were a number of serving and retired gardaĂ­ who were instrumental in investigating the murder. None was required to attend but they chose to.

Ms O’Hara had been in a secret and abusive sado-masochistic relationship with married Dwyer prior to her disappearance in August 2012. Her remains were found 13 months later in a forest in the Dublin Mountains.

On Thursday, Dwyer’s lawyers had outlined various grounds of appeal. On Friday, it was the turn of lawyers for the DPP to respond.

A key piece of Dwyer’s appeal is that the Irish law used to obtain his mobile phone metadata — which helped detectives to establish a link between him and his victim — was in breach of EU law.

Another is that the prosecution did not establish any cause of death or that Dwyer had caused Ms O’Hara to die. Dwyer’s lawyers have held out the possibility that Ms O’Hara, who was receiving psychiatric care, could have died by her own hands.

Mr Guerin, for the State, told the court a text retrieved by gardaí from a “burner phone” attributed to Dwyer said: “I want to stick my knife in flesh while sexually aroused… blood turns me on and I’d like to stab a girl to death.”

He said the prosecution case was Dwyer “meant what he said and did what he said he was going to do”.

Dwyer interjected, saying: “I didn’t say any of that.”

He denies he owned or operated the phone found by gardaí in Vartry Reservoir in Co Wicklow along with another handset days after Ms O’Hara’s remains were discovered.

The court heard Dwyer had used his registered work phone to communicate with the childcare worker.

This was established from printed bills in his employers’ keeping.

Mr Guerin said the prosecution had sought to show the content of those messages — chiefly the desires shown in them — was real and long-standing.

It sought to show Ms O’Hara’s death could only be explained by the realisation of Dwyer’s intention to “stab a girl to death”.

He said the prosecution had also sought to eliminate any other possible explanation, such as suicide: “The text messages show he said he was going to take her to the woods, tie her up and stab her. And she said she was not going to commit suicide.

“The prosecution’s case is confirmed by the exchange of texts. The defence case is contradicted.

“If she did commit suicide, how on earth did her keys and her phone get to the lake?”

In March 2011, a burner phone — known as the “green phone” or “master phone” — had become the primary handset Dwyer used to communicate with Ms O’Hara.

This was registered in a false name, Goroon Caisholm, a corruption of the name of a former work colleague of Dwyer’s. At this point, the Corkman interjected for a second time, saying: “He was never a former colleague of mine.”

“An acquaintance in any event,” Mr Guerin responded.

The barrister added that one text message said to have been sent by Dwyer to Ms O’Hara read: “If anyone asks about me tell them I’m your brother David.”

An indignant Dwyer interjected for a third time, saying: “I never wrote anything like that.”

At this point, the warning was issued by Mr Justice Birmingham.

Sources familiar with the case say the repeated interruptions by Dwyer were “extraordinary”, given his calm outwardly demeanour throughout his two-month murder trial, as well as in garda interviews during sustained questioning.

“It shows his frustration,” they said. “This is a man who never lost his cool before, in court or garda interviews, finally showing a human side.”

During his lengthy trial, Dwyer never showed more than a flicker of emotion — even when videos of him involved in sado-masochist sex with women were shown to the jury.

​The explicit videos are one of the grounds of appeal. Dwyer’s legal team claim that trial judge, Mr Justice Tony Hunt, erred by admitting videos of Dwyer engaging in sexual acts with Ms O’Hara and other women. Dwyer could be seen stabbing or pretending to stab them.

Dwyer’s lawyers contend a narrative describing the videos should have been read to the jury instead as viewing the videos made it impossible for them to remain impartial.

At the conclusion of his appeal, Dwyer left quietly. He was returned to the Midlands prison and awaits the Court of Appeal’s decision.

Bringing proceedings to a close, Mr Justice Birmingham said the court would deliver its decision as soon as possible — but it should not be expected imminently.

“It remains to be seen whether Elaine O’Hara’s family will have to go through Christmas with this hanging over them. One would hope not, they have been through enough,” said a well-placed security source. “But the decision of the Court of Appeal cannot nor should it be rushed. The memory of Elaine O’Hara is too important.”

:+1::+1:

‘Behind the stories, there’s a person who lost it all’ – fraudster Catriona Carey claims she is a victim too

Ex-hockey international says she gave ‘large sums of money’ to her former business partner but he says: ‘She never gave me a f***ing penny’

When Catriona Carey announced her retirement from the Ireland hockey team aged 28, it came as a shock to those in sporting circles that she was hanging up her boots at the peak of her career.

Former national coach Riet Kuper described Carey as a “talented and sparkling player” who was “able to surprise many opponents with her actions”, adding that her “strong willpower” and “pleasant personality” would be missed from the international scene.

Sixteen years later, it is her actions as a businesswoman that have caught many by surprise.

When she quit international hockey in 2006, she cited “work pressures” as part of the reason, as well as living too far away from regional and national training sessions. Throughout her career, she continued playing at club level.

In February 2022, at the age of 43, Carey was still getting positive write-ups for her performances on the hockey field after helping the Kilkenny ladies’ team to a 3-0 win over Wexford. A report in the Kilkenny People said “hard-working Catriona Carey showed her class” by setting up many threatening attacks.

But just days after she took to the field for Kilkenny Hockey Club, Carey would be making headlines for very different reasons.

RTÉ Investigates exposed how her business, Careysfort Asset Estates, had been embroiled in an alleged mortgage scam in which homeowners lost out on hundreds of thousands of euro through a scheme that offered to buy debt from their lenders at a discount and then provide a new mortgage rate at a discount.

Details of her fraud conviction for altering a client’s cheque for €6,948 by making it payable to her instead of Revenue were also revealed for the first time.

But what emerged in the RTÉ documentary was just the start of the former Kilkenny camogie player’s annus horribilis.

She has lost her family home after defaulting on mortgage payments for 10 years, was put off the road for four years for driving offences, is currently under investigation by the Garda National Economic Crime Bureau (GNECB) for her role in Careysfort and her €55,000 BMW remains impounded after the GNECB seized it earlier this year.

Bank of Ireland is also suing her for outstanding debt.

In response to queries from the Irish Independent, the former Kilkenny camogie player has claimed:

• She was also a client of Careysfort and paid “large sums of money” to solve debts on her family home.
  • Four people are under investigation regarding Careysfort.
  • A former business partner, Patrick Maher, had a significant role in Careysfort.
  • She is appealing her driving ban as she believes there may have been administrative errors regarding the application of penalty points.

Carey, who has been allowed to continue driving while appealing her ban, said that not being able to drive “is a huge restriction to my life and the life of my children”.

She was disqualified for driving for six months after accumulating 12 penalty points, but she believes
there may have been errors in their application.

In May she was banned from driving for four years after being caught driving twice while the disqualification was active.

Gardaí told how she was “roaring and screaming” when stopped and asked: “Do you expect me to get taxis?”

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

Your heart would go out to her

4 Likes

I haven’t a shred of evidence but I’m gonna put all my eggs in one basket & say DJ the bolox knew everything of the frauds going on .

1 Like