International Elections Thread

Congratulations to Kazakhstan’s President Nursultan Nazarbayev, who won 97.7% of the vote in Sunday’s election. An improvement on the 96% he won in 2011. I believe the economy there is booming.

I have a German friend whose grandparents are from Kazakhstan. She visited them for the first time in her 20s. Struggled to describe the country to me for a bit and then asked had I seen Borat. -Yes -It’s exactly like that!

Cool story, bro.

how come 99% of your stories involve things that your friends did

I thought it was somewhat relevant to the above post about Kazakhstan, you didn’t have to be a nasty rotten cunt.

Hate to be a pedant, but Borat was filmed in Romania.

Is that the point? It was set in Kazakhstan and a girl with Kazakh grandparents that visited the country reckoned it was as backward as the movie.

This is really enlightening stuff go ahead mate i’m writing it all down.

Why mate? It’s already there in front of you :rolleyes:

@maroonandwhite Whats the deal with this Trudeau fella? Can you give us the mood on the ground with the common people?

Son of a popular PM.

When is Georgina Ahern running for Taoiseach?

His mother ran off with Mick Jagger back in the 70s. It was fairly scandalous at the time.

Campaigned on a pledge to raise taxes on the richest Canadians and lower them for the middle class. Cant go wrong with that when it comes to the peasants vote.

Cant blame a woman for that.

She was married to the French PM at the time. It wasn’t the done thing.

So Mick Jaggers son is the Canadian PM?

The 70’s eh?

I heard she couldn’t get no satisfaction. I’d have sympathy for the devil.

Canada is a divided country pal. Here in hipster and latte central Harper was despised as being too conservative, but over the hills in cowboy country Alberta he had previously done well. Trudeau seems wafer thin to me, full of populist harmless sound bytes but people were just sick of Harper after ten years, mulcair and the NDP fell apart but the real decisive factor was bloc imploding with infighting in Quebec, thus giving Trudeau a landslide there and therefore overall, even though he’s viewed with cynicism by older quebeckers who mock his poor French debating style, he’s still one of them. The Tories weren’t killed at the polls, just in the wrong places. Trudeau is young, cool, has great hair, but is too soft and inexperienced. Will he protect us from ISIS? No chance. A major factor in his win was the support he got from immigrant groups, and I’m telling you you would be bowled over by the number of Chinese and Indians there is in this city, and across urban Canada. Trudeaus auld lad, Pierre, opened the door for them all to come in and it paid off big style now, they and their kids essentially voted Justin in as a thank you for that.

1 Like

Informative

Lets hope Fianna FĂĄil never allow anyone with a modicum of dynamism run their party.

I wouldn’t so easy on her. Sounds like a real Honky Tonk Woman.