International Elections Thread

Euro is down about 10% against Stg in the past 2 months,

the French and Italians doing a great job of running the Euro into the ground in an effort to save Christmas for Irish retailers :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Big spike in the Dax, down 1% after the results from Italy and now up 1%.

The Markets don’t care about European politicians :clap:

Dax up 200 points points, we have blown through 10,700

The Gambia has kicked out their dictator of 22 years in an election. Not a very good dictator if you allow yourself to be kicked out in a democratic election, but there you go.

2 Likes

Sterling back above 120 against the euro for the first time in ages

1 Like

I see that simpleton who never gets any replies to his posts is still posting away and still not getting any replies.

If you hadn’t spend half the day in bed you may have made some money from this morning’s rally :wink:

I see that the agri-right simpleton who never gets any replies to his posts has recognised my description of him.

1 Like

The five star movement are hard to make sense of.

They are led by a comedian.

No ones laughing now.

They cannot be put into a simple left or right wing box. They are mish mash of ideas based largely on populism. Pro-Environment/Anti Immigration/Anti Euro/Direct Democracy/Sustainable Development

1 Like

A mish-mash is the right description. I think they’re more of a protest movement than anything else from what I have read of them. Doesn’t seem to be a lot of coherence to their policies beyond being anti-status quo. The have some sort of an anti-capitalist thing going on but it’s hard to know how serious they are about it.

Although it may kill us all yet, it is hard not to enjoy the consternation of that cunt Juncker as Europe is falling down around his ears. They trampled all over democracy to impose ‘discipline’ on the noisy neighbours and they are paying for it big time now.

2 Likes

The Eurozone project has been a complete failure for the likes of Italy, they haven’t seen an iota of growth since they joined. They lost their ability to compete with Germany when they lost the option of continuously devaluing their currency.
The Germans by contrast have been huge beneficiaries of a weaker than natural currency, yet they are crowing at everyone else about how they should be running their countries. Rather than keeping their heads down and thanking their lucky stars that they’ve managed to mug off the rest of Europe by getting them into the euro they are engineering a situation where they’ll cause the Euro to fail and massively damage their competitiveness overnight.

1 Like

They would have, if it wasn’t for Schauble and the rest of the austerity fanatics.

Didn’t they try something similar between 39 and 45

This Turkish/Dutch spat is intriguing. It’ll be a great movie someday.

The Dutch are very sensitive to Nazi references given their eh mixed reaction to German occupation.

1 Like

Delicately put :grinning:

Erdogan is some man, the first man to ever give a country a vote on whether they wanted a dictator or not? Previous dictators have been democratically elected, before consolidating power, I’m not sure it’s ever been put in a straight up vote though?