International Elections Thread

Given that he had a law passed when he was PM that anyone over 70 could not go to jail, but house arrest, thats probable alright. But he will have to live with the shame of course. How will he cope?

I am sure he will get over it Fitzy.

It must be gnawing away at him Balbec, being such a principled man.

Campaigning in Cambodian elections has reached new heights today. Thousands of posters for Cambodian People’s Party. Picture of PM Hun Sen is on most shops. He is playing the anti Vietnamese card very astutely and warning that a loss for the CPP will mean invasion

Opposition leader Sam Rainsy arrived into Cambodia on Friday after being in exile in France. 40,000 were at airport to greet him. Hun Sen had to pardon him after international pressure.
Unreal how fanatical Rainsy and Hun Sen’s supporters are. My money is on Hun Sen to retain power

What are the differences in their policies Raymond?

CPP emerged victorious though the election result has been disputed by main opposition and many have huge misgivings about election process. All up in air what happens from here.
CPP and Rescue Party both appear to seek popularity through scare tactics. CPP have strong anti Thai rheroic while Rescue Party slag off Vietnamese. Their leader Rainsy returned from exile and got in bit of trouble for continuing to refer to Vietnamese people as “yuoun’s” despite being warned not to.

Other smaller parties seem more concerned about domestic policy issues such as fairer wages. Amount they spend is tiny fraction of what CPP and Rescue spend though.

I see the people of Zimbabwe will be re-electing Robert Mugabe in a landslide. They love that man they do.

Pat Macquaid could teach him a few tricks

Is he any worse than some of the clowns we’ve had as Taoiseach? I give you the Biffo and Bartholemew Ahern

And he loves the people.

A lesser man would have thought he had done his duty at 89. Not Sir Robert though :clap:

Sir Robert embodies the term public service in the name of ones nation. He could be kicking back enjoying his well earned retirement but he won’t have a word of it whilst his country needs him. Is there a more selfless man in the whole continent of Africa?

How did you guess that :wink:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-23554443

What a man Mugabe is for refusing to stop serving his nation. A true Zimbabwean patriot. Beloved by the people too for dedicating his life to public office, I don’t think there’s another world leader in history who’d be able to get the backing of 140% of the electorate.

mickee321 who are the Israeli company Mugabe paid 3bn to rig the election?

christ, ive no idea
i personally prefer the low cost gerrymandering approach
is the 3bn in Zimbabwean currency or USD?

[quote=“mickee321, post: 812075, member: 367”]christ, ive no idea
i personally prefer the low cost gerrymandering approach
is the 3bn in Zimbabwean currency or USD?[/quote]

USD according to the Sunday times. $3bn Zimbabwean dollars would probably buy you a loaf of bread.

From what I can make out from the article they did little more than add duplicate names to the electoral register.
Some great stats in it as the demographic of the voters. 2m voters under age of 30 not included in it. But there are over 100,000 voters over the age of 100.

“Islam is a country.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_1SFf8t-ko

Muagbe is some man. He has told Morgan Tsvangirai to FOAD.

“Those who lost elections may commit suicide if they so wish. Even if they die, dogs will not eat their flesh,” he said.

Anti-austerity Syriza seem to have done even better than expected in Greece - 37% of the vote according to the exit poll.