Investment Opportunities (get poor quickly schemes)

I’ll tell them the top SPAD in the big shmoke said it was grand.

here’s a man that knows what he’s talking about…

crypto is going to the moon.

hodl hodl

1 Like

mere advertising puff!

1 Like

im not a SPAD, im a sir humphrey!

Sir Humphrey Cummings

plenty of puffs in advertising these days.

@glasagusban will you definitely want the money back in 10-15 years? From what I gather you’re just entering middle age like myself so 10-15 years will have you approaching retirement. If that’s the case ensure you are maxing our pension entitlement before investing anything ‘outside’.

Going to a bank or Irish Life is probably the easiest option but you could also consider someone like Brewin Dolphin or De Giro as they will get you access to more funds (you’d want to check out their custodial arrangements though so you know who actually has your money and what happens if they go belly up). They have an annual charge on accounts and a fee for each trade, not sure how much

Like the lads say, stick it in an ETF and forget about it. You’ll only beat the market with pot luck. Most recently I went into a global equity fund and an ESG focused fund, think they were iShares.

2 Likes

where would a man go about investing in an ETF?

degiro and brewin dolphin, would a local bean counter be sufficient to gain access?

or just log in online and have at it?

Worth your while paying a fella a few hundred quid to walk you through options if starting from zero knowledge

1 Like

Been counters wouldn’t have a scooby.

what about bean counters?

The banks might offer access but their services are usually aimed towards funds they sponsor themselves.

Davy & Brewin Dolphin (formerly Investec) are the two more established players. You’d just need a retail account with them and away you go. De Giro is a low cost provider. Fees & charges should be available on website but fire ahead and contact them.

You then buy an ETF using your account. The largest ETF providers are iShares and Vanguard.

what kind of returns would you be looking at, say you threw in 5k for 20 years?

Locking your money away for 10 year periods is madness when you consider the risk of inflation etc. Savings are fine but long term investment is for the birds.

Equities would protect your money from inflation

1 Like

About anything really.

That is also true. We’re having a good month…

What sort of return would you get on equities?

Generally speaking, I wouldn’t invest anything for a 10 year term without a doubling return.

Hey @Juhniallio please let it be known that it was @flattythehurdler not I who brought back up the gable end re-constitution scandal from the Rainbow Coalition era .
i was happy to let the planning controversy involving your childhood home die a death but it seems to have reared its head again, maybe a full blown TFK Inquiry is the only way to clear your name now?

2 Likes

Jaysus I haven’t started considering myself middle aged yet. Probably should.

I’d most likely want it back within ten years. If or when children arrive I imagine I’d need it to assist with a house move.

I’m on a “gold plated” civil service pension. Of course. But since I joined when I was nearly 30 I need to either buy back extra years at exorbitant expense, work til I’m 70, or make do with a reduced pension. I will likely pursue the first option but I haven’t costed it yet.