Ireland politics (Part 1)

Opposite way around pal, and you sound hysterical.

Eh what? …listen to the most vocal Michael Martin its a bit of a contradiction to page 30 of his Fianna Fail manifesto about the Seanad, go and read it! …Also if you think Michael McDowell is heading up “Democracy Matters” for the people of old Eire think again! He just wants to keep in the news and like a power vulture he circles Dublin hoping to parachute in to a new party and get elected!
Most people can’t vote in the Seanad elections, how can that be democratic? It’s a college debating chamber! Get rid!

[quote=“tazdedub, post: 838388, member: 312”]Enda Kenny…discuss.
James Reilly…discuss
Phil hogan…discuss

The Dail is full of village fucking idiots. Kenny has been there 30+ years and in all that time he has done fuck all.

The Seanad don’t stop bills, they review the bills and then make amendments. The problem
With the Seanad is the amount of influence parties have in who they put in there. I would prefer it to be reformed and for the people to elect senators and for politicians to state their intention to run for the Seanad or the Dail. They can only choose one.

I wouldn’t trust the fuckers in the Dail to
Introduce legislation without some form of review and the fact that Kenny can’t even
Go on tv a debate the reasons for scrapping tells me to vote yes because the guy proposing the change can’t even debate the reasons to get rid of it.[/quote]
The people elect those village idiots to the Dail. Those self same people aren’t going to elect a better quality of politician to the Seanad. If it’s made directly electable we’ll end up with twice the number of Gombeens looking after local interests and nothing will ever get done. It there was genuine reform of the Seanad and the members were appointed by TFK that would be one thing. But that’s unlikely so I’m in favour of abolition.

In theory having the decision making powers with the more intelligent of the people makes some sense. If university graduates have slightly more developed mental faculties then the likes of ebeneezer Goode then it is likely that they will make better decisions. Problem is that Irish university graduates tend to have a high percentage of west Brits. Can’t help but feel that ebeneezers outrage at the Seanad is not just based on his loyalty to FG but also the fact that he failed his inter cert. nobody’s saying you are inferior EG but you didn’t apply yourself at school and that comes with a price - Seanad eireann.

I got an A in Metal work. They say the pen is mightier than the sword, I wouldn’t bet on it. Ask Kev! Croppy you can stick Bandage’s abacus up your arse.

When bishops blessed the blueshirts in Dun Laoghaire, they sailed beneath a swastica to Spain

The Seanad should be kept but only on the proviso that it is entirely elected by university graduates.*

*Dublin University and Queen’s University are the only two universities in Ireland.

Referendum special on TV3 now with Vinny. The No side are represented by Michaels Martin & McDowell. The Yes side by Bruton and Mary Lou.

Bruton harping on about FG getting rid of corporate donations as a way to prove FG should be trusted :rolleyes: while the other crowd had 14 years to change things but never did :rolleyes:

I feel myself siding with Martin, McDowell and the excellent Senator Professor John Crown.

McDowell has given Bruton a serious beating here. Mary Lou looks like she wants out.

I wasn’t aware until today that if people vote for the Seanad to be abolished on Friday they are also voting to remove the right of the President to refer controversial legislation to the people.
Vote Often. Vote No.

[quote=“TreatyStones, post: 840490, member: 1786”]I wasn’t aware until today that if people vote for the Seanad to be abolished on Friday they are also voting to remove the right of the President to refer controversial legislation to the people.
Vote Often. Vote No.[/quote]
Eh, what? How has this not been mentioned?

[quote=“TreatyStones, post: 840490, member: 1786”]I wasn’t aware until today that if people vote for the Seanad to be abolished on Friday they are also voting to remove the right of the President to refer controversial legislation to the people.

That’s about the only power the president has…

#voteno

[quote=“count of monte cristo, post: 840566, member: 348”]That’s about the only power the president has…

#voteno[/quote]

Its a very bloody important one Count…

That’s why we should vote no @Fitzy

[quote=“Mac, post: 840472, member: 109”]Referendum special on TV3 now with Vinny. The No side are represented by Michaels Martin & McDowell. The Yes side by Bruton and Mary Lou.

Bruton harping on about FG getting rid of corporate donations as a way to prove FG should be trusted :rolleyes: while the other crowd had 14 years to change things but never did :rolleyes:

I feel myself siding with Martin, McDowell and the excellent Senator Professor John Crown.[/quote]

what a surprise , the biggest forelock tugging simpleton on this site and one that openly admits that he is soup taking swine wants to protect the elitist pigs that he idolizes. A few more cents from the rest of us should subsidize this elitist talking shop is what the hook nose cunt wants but doesnt have the balls to say

you truly are a detestable wanker Mac

was the broke bookie a senator at one stage?

It’s has never happened even with desperate legislation in the last 20 years. Senate must refer it to the President but they don’t cos it’s controlled by the government of the day! Its undemocratic, elitist and a nursery or a nursing home for wannabe politicians. It’s a complete waste. Get rid of it. If you want change do it at the next local and general elections.

+1

the muldoons on here are always bedazzled by the upper classes. they are programmed to be subservient to the upper classes. this is the real reason the likes of Mac, the count etc want to preserve this elitist talking shop

[quote=“The Wild Colonial Bhoy, post: 840624, member: 80”]what a surprise , the biggest forelock tugging simpleton on this site and one that openly admits that he is soup taking swine wants to protect the elitist pigs that he idolizes. A few more cents from the rest of us should subsidize this elitist talking shop is what the hook nose cunt wants but doesnt have the balls to say

you truly are a detestable wanker Mac

was the broke bookie a senator at one stage?[/quote]

:rolleyes:

I’m sitting here flicking through the channels when I see some bird on Russia Today gabbing on about how fucked the country is.
She then proceeds to say how the new political party, ‘Direct Democracy Ireland’ is gathering huge momentum across the country.
She is now conducting an interview with some Gilroy lad in Navan who’s wearing a Puma baseball cap via Skype. He’s on about the banks, bondholders, repossessions and the constitution and that, and to be fair to him, he doesn’t sound like a complete tit.
First I’ve heard of Direct Democracy Ireland.
Any chance of them or any other new political movement rattling a few cages, ruffling a few feathers, putting the cat amongst the pigeons or any othe tired cliche/metaphor?

As an aside RT can be great craic at times. The anti-Fox.

[quote=“Piles Hussain, post: 841713, member: 363”]I’m sitting here flicking through the channels when I see some bird on Russia Today gabbing on about how fucked the country is.
She then proceeds to say how the new political party, ‘Direct Democracy Ireland’ is gathering huge momentum across the country.
She is now conducting an interview with some Gilroy lad in Navan who’s wearing a Puma baseball cap via Skype. He’s on about the banks, bondholders, repossessions and the constitution and that, and to be fair to him, he doesn’t sound like a complete tit.
First I’ve heard of Direct Democracy Ireland.
Any chance of them or any other new political movement rattling a few cages, ruffling a few feathers, putting the cat amongst the pigeons or any othe tired cliche/metaphor?

As an aside RT can be great craic at times. The anti-Fox.[/quote]
That Gilroy chap is an idiot.