Ireland politics (Part 2)

I didn’t read it properly. SF reckon it would only cost €780 million

What’s the voucher for, anything at all? A voucher for the hospitality industry seems a no brainer.

They don’t say.

It seems to me, in the context of a budget proposal that sets out all the challenges the country faces and plans to spend €5 billion between capital spending and increased current spending; to spend nearly a billion on a voucher scheme is a bit perverse.

It would be popular though and I suppose that’s the whole point.

1 Like

They had a similar voucher up north. Could only be spent in certain outlets and not on booze.

Paid for by tax increases on SME owners who they expect to create jobs :joy::joy:

They launched a scheme here to reclaim money spent on hotels then shut them all.

Are SF totally forgetting the cost of replacing/repairing all the Mica affected homes?

Bizarre take.

But sure you’ve never said anything intelligent in your life so why start now.

1 Like

It must be part of their budget plan considering their spokesperson is from the worst effected County?

I got the last laugh by finding somewhere expensive enough (Wineport Lodge) during the narrow window the scheme was operational and getting the max refund.

1 Like

There was something in there about it to be fair but it was relatively small iirc

It’s not a real budget they have to deliver so they’ve gone full Ryan Tubridy on it

The same people whom SF will penalise if they have the temerity to earn >100k

They also want to recruit thousands of health care professionals and to attract them they want to tax them 60 per cent.

1 Like

Pearse has a money tree it’s all good

If we’ve learned anything these last two years it’s that there is in fact a magic money tree

11 Likes

I dunno how anyone can sneer at the supposed Sinn Fein money tree after the last 18 months. We have literally spent billions that were never budgeted for.

4 Likes

Correct,there’s lots of money around when they need it.

We can borrow billions when the good folk at the ECB are buying it. If we do a solo run and make ourselves an outlier amongst EU countries we are goosed.

2 Likes

It’s a little different which I suspect you knows Firstly we could do it because the ECB enabled it, which they wouldn’t normally do. Secondly it was for a discreet period of time - not to expand annual budgets.

Even despite all that it’s another whack on to our overall debt pile. Interest rates are super-low now but no guarantee that will be the case in the future.

4 Likes