Ireland politics (Part 2)

So Kieran Mulvey, at a push.

Remember Joe Duffy on the Late Late as USI president wearing his duffel coat.

The COTY award winner should get the Joe Duffy Perpetual Trophy. Joe is a massive cunt who would a contender in any country.

Little did we know

Itā€™s already been named

Is it? After the mighty Joe?

G Ryan. An even bigger Cunt

A fine cunt in his day!

1 Like

The crutch and the ballymunners :joy:

Amo needs to have a word

https://twitter.com/businessposthq/status/1748027816170389706?t=pCOirO_pmwb1YBfqu9BSDg&s=19

Poor Darragh is angry. If only he was in a position to do something about it.

10 Likes

I donā€™t fully understand the anger around this.

Like, itā€™s obviously bad if you are a potential house purchaser. However, if youā€™re a renter then extra supply is what is needed to moderate and ultimately reduce rents.

Also, knowing that these can be bulk-sold probably increases the ability to finance developments - again increasing supply and finally thereā€™s a general recognition that itā€™s better to have professional landlords instead of mom and pops.

Seems a mixed bag of pros and cons rather than a straight-out bad thing no?

1 Like

Indeed, the market will sort out the problem.

4 Likes

Theyā€™ll be rented at the highest of prices and will be sold as soon as the fund hits their target % which could be any timeā€¦ Thereā€™s fuck all security renting from big fundsā€¦ Itā€™s all short term fixes. At least many buyers would have potentially used them as family homes freeing up other rentable accom

2 Likes

Odd comment. Selling the houses to private owners is ā€œthe marketā€ too.

Iā€™m concerned at the depth of ideological feeling you have but yet how shallow the reasoning is behind it.

1 Like

I accept the point that they would be rented at the maximum the market would take (just as theyā€™d be sold at a similar price point). That being said, Iā€™m not sure I agree with you that theyā€™d be sold. A lot of these funds are pension funds that are looking for a steady predictable revenue stream and in many ways are the types of landlords you want. Itā€™s the small time landlords that are selling and evicting tenants on a whim.

Is your last point not a zero sum game? i.e. the main thing that the houses are built and added to supply and then theyā€™ll be used. Whether itā€™s good/bad that they are rented or sold depends upon your perspective or need?

We rented from a fund who said they wanted long term tenantsā€¦ Max rent, zero love put into house and they gave us our marching orders after 16 monthā€¦ It depends on the fund i suppose. This crowd were buying distressed loans.

Anyway, it worked out for us as they gave us first refusal and didnā€™t put it on the market. House 5 doors up went for 80k more on the market.

In the end, until we build a hell of a lot more, then itā€™s all circularā€¦ Being caught in the rent game is no joke tho.

7 Likes

I def agree with that. Supply solves a lot of problems for both renters and buyers. The rental game is stress city Iā€™d imagine too.

1 Like

New builds are great but there is a hell of a lot of unused space in Older buildings & more modern office space sitting idle that needs to be properly looked at getting back into functional order to live in too

1 Like

at this stage it looks like govt polcy is to return us to pre boycott landlordism

2 Likes

Commercial scene looks bad for cafes, restaurants and pubs. Have heard this week about two closing that appeared busy.

Energy and employment costs the issue is both cases.

1 Like