Ireland politics (Part 2)

A middling SF Cumann on the Louth Armagh birder would snigger at the buttons mentioned above

1 Like

Hard to know - may have undercounted assets but they haven’t got any liabilities included so that overestimates net worth i.e. peoples mortgages on that as far as I know. Many people in Dublin live in “expensive” houses but they’ve a hell of a lot of debt too

As @Horsebox points out - it’s the size of the pension pots that jumps off the page for me

2 Likes

True but on a TD/ministers salary + expenses you should not have too much bother covering repayments.

Pensions worth more than 2 million

How much would a teachers pension be worth relative to a TD?

Would you hit a mil with 40 years service?

Sure. But if you own a €700k house and have a €500k mortgage it isn’t the repayment capacity that determines your net worth - it’s the difference between the two i.e. you’re worth €200k

The article seems to just include the €700k bit

I’d still see it as you’re worth 700k. They would hardly default on it unless they’re a dope.

Also possible that a lot of those TDs who have properties like that either bought them some time ago, inherited or were able to pay for quite a fair chunk of it up front with a deposit or other “donations”.

Fair to say some of those properties might also be generating an income of their own.

With the AVC’s they would

Real Celtic Tiger logic there alright

They’re are definitely not worth 700k in the example I gave. Maybe in the future when they’ve paid down all the debt.

Your second point is correct though. In some cases the property would have no debt on it and in others it would be heavily debt-laden.

These things matter.

1 Like

Like thinking a lad driving around a leased 21 reg car is loaded …

1 Like

I would argue they are. They aren’t going to lose that property unless they default on the loan which is unlikely given their salary. It would be different if they had no rights to the asset but they do and have a contract that entitles them to all rights when repayments are fulfilled which they more than have the means to.

A car loses its value. Property generally appreciates in value.

That’s a fair point. They don’t need to disclose debt which is fair. This investigation also leaves out other savings/investments that are not clearly in the public domain. Would I be correct in saying this is just based on property owned (home and rental) and public pension pot?

A kleptocracy

The pensions that politicians get is some three card trick pulled on Irish public. They can also claim them from 50 on.

6 Likes

indeed they do, the register of interests is worthless without having their liabilities listed.

a list like that wouldve made very interesting reading at the time of the bailout

2 Likes

A minister pension would cost about 4 million to buy. Of course you’d not be allowed buy it and would be clobbered with tax if pension pot was over 2.2m

Brendan Howlin took a career break from teaching when he went for the Dáil around 30-40 years ago! Would he be due a teacher’s pension as well as the TD and ministerial ones he’d have?

yes

enda kenny was due 30k a year and a 100k lump sum when he retired in spite of having only taught for 4 years

Paddy C (who I think is a complete dick) made the point on Twitter over the weekend that disclosing the liabilities is nearly more important than disclosing the assets due to possible conflicts of interest. I’d tend to agree.

4 Likes