Ireland politics (Part 2)

you brought up job security in your post

In response to a point that TDs would never default on their mortgages.

1 Like

Discussion was whether politicians’ asset is a fair indication of net worth. The general discussion was that without a sense of the debts involved it was hard to know. @Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy was suggesting that the asset value was sufficient as it was unlikely that they’d struggle to discharge debts. @gilgamboa then provided examples of former TD’s struggling to discharge debts due to the volatile nature of the job.

At that point you clearly shifted the goalposts to query about soup kitchens or being homeless.

1 Like

perry and wallace were struggling to discharge their debts for a long time.

as for regina, how she wasnt pursued by the ODCE beggars belief.

but in summation, it further reinforces that the register of interests should include full details of liabilities

This needs to be read using the Fr.Jack style of emphasis…Loudly and with passion…

1 Like

How many were personal loans?

Regina Doherty’s were business debts that she reneged on.

Exactly the point we were making. Thanks @artfoley

I don’t think very much of this extra bank holiday idea. Surely it’s easier and cheaper to give the frontline workers a few extra quid before Christmas.

2 Likes

You must be an employer

I have no problem with the frontline workers getting a few extra quid but where is the line drawn? Like we see above you have groups like the teachers have their hands out for a payment.

It’s an extreme example of politicians being stupid.

No, I’m an employee who wouldn’t be classed as frontline and have enough holidays left to use so not interested in another day off.

I agree it’s hard knowing where to draw the line but the bank holiday idea isn’t much use to the likes of hospital staff etc who will still need to work.

Jesus if I ever get myself into a mind frame where I would rather work than get a free day off anybody can feel free to shoot me

5 Likes

You’re not self employed so…

1 Like

That’s why I assumed he was an employer/self employed

Is this true:

This week, the Limerick Leader has made contact with all seven deputies, with Willie O’Dea responding, as well as Fianna Fail colleague Niall Collins, Sinn Fein TD Maurice Quinlivan, Fine Gael’s Kieran O’Donnell and Independent Richard O’Donoghue.

Mr O’Dea, whose financial assets top €2.26m according to the survey, says its “absurd” and “gives a very false impression” to value people in accordance with their pension.

“For many people, the old age pension is around €500,000. So everyone who qualifies for this is worth €500,000 – I’m sure they’ve no idea they’re worth this much! If this were true, half the country would be millionaires,” he said.​

Willie would have been worth a hell of a lot more had he not lied in an affidavit a few years back and try and get an innocent journalist fired.

5 Likes

Maurice must have got a nice few bob off him that time. Well into 6 figures…??

Well well into 6 I’m reliably informed