Ireland V Andorra

Since when did we knight people in this country?

FFS.

why would the quen knight the manager of the Republic of Ireland soccer team you retard

[quote=“asyouwere, post: 513391”]
mcgeady is useless. ffs giving him credit for having a decent game against the might of Andorra…if trap gets this particular bunch of players to the finals he should be knighted. the only saving grace is the other teams are just as bad…
[/quote]FOAD

I think Duff has been pretty much consistently good for us since 2002 - really since that Portugal match where he frightened the life out of Couto and co. I recall him having a fantastic game against Russia at home under Kerr when he scored a peach of a goal and was also excellent against Germany for us in Stan’s first match before he was inexplicably substituted, as he was through all of that campaign.

There was never really a game during that period where I thought to myself that Duff was underperforming or wasn’t really bothered.

Trap singled him out for praise after the match. O’Shea said he was superb. I wouldn’t go as far as them but he was certainly far far better than some on here have made out and one of our better players on the night and the most creative.
Fact is he has done it consistently for Celtic in Champions League over a number of seasons. He has had several good games for Ireland (Brazil, Georgia home and away, Montenegro away etc) but he needs to produce it regularly now. He will contiue to give the ball away as when you are that sort of player there is no way you are going to keep it 100% of the time but you can be sure chances will emerge if he is on form.

KIB man delights in McGeady not succeeding so bit much for him to come on here proclaiming how much he wants him to do well.

You utter, utter cunt of a man.

Bandage, I don’t even think he did the ‘least he should have done’. Posters on here claiming that he had a hand in the three goals are blatantly clutching at straws. He won a corner for the first, the second was a moment of brilliance from Doyle. Credit where it’s due it was a perfectly weighted pass to Keane for the third.

In absolute terms, his positive contributions would look decent, but relative to the amount he was on the ball, I think they’d look poor. Then when you factor in the opposition, I think that becomes very poor.

I’ve no personal vendetta against him and used to watch Celtic a few years ago to watch him. But he hasn’t really developed for me and I’d be thinking at this stage that he won’t.

We’ll have to agree to differ but I’m satisfied that myself, Sheasie, Trap and Nutsy Fenlon are right. And the EPL fan boys who were pushing for Gibson to start last week because he has more renown by virtue of playing for Manchester United are wrong.

I was at the game and thought he played well. I have since rewatched the game and have changed my mind. He played very well. He was best Ulsterman on the pitch by a country mile. Given was second best followed by Gibson who had a bit of a shocking half hour unfortunately.

:smiley:

Defoe out til the middle of december now…Should be good news for Robbie

I was watching MNS earlier and Rico reckons we have 4 excellent players (Given, Dunne, Duff and Keane) but we’ll need two more players to join them in that category if we’re to qualify and he thinks Doyle and McGeady showed signs of stepping up into their company last week. I think he must have forgotten about John O’Shea. They widened the debate then to discuss the fact that 2 of the key players in Given and Keane are not getting first team football at present and Richie Sadlier reckons that match fitness was not an issue so early in the season for these two games but they’ll be severely lacking sharpness come October if they’re not getting first team action. Keane didn’t get in the Spurs side at the weekend, even with Defoe now injured. I see Marc Wilson is making his Stoke debut tonight alongside Dean Whitehead in central midfield so Whelan’s not getting a game lately either. Kilbane has been in and out of the Hull team so far this season and was hooked at half time at the weekend. Liam Lawrence has eventually gone to Portsmouth on an emergency loan after his permanent transfer wasn’t ratified prior to the transfer deadline. So there’s a few of them who probably won’t be playing too much and it goes without saying that we can’t really afford an injury to either of the front two due to the lack of depth upfront.

so rico agrees with me you rocko trap & nuttsy?

Strange that Wilson was playing in midfield. I’d have him in the squad certainly.

Thought Coleman did pretty well (in an attacking sense) when he came on on Saturday. If he starts getting in (and he should cos Hibbert is gash), I’d favour him coming in at right back and O’Shea switching to left.

I only read Gibson’s quote at the weekend. I wouldn’t be overly surprised to see him omitted from the squad for Russia and Slovakia.

Not sure he should be in the squad regardless though Trap likes continuity so perhaps he’ll be included. Really has been poor for us too often without really showing anything at all. Would really like to see him do well as admire his determination to play for us over norn iron but can’t help but feel he ain’t up to it.

Not a lot of decent alternatives though. For what Trap wants Paul Keegan would probably be good enough tbh.

Think you are being a bit simplistic there clarkey. Sure trap likes midfielders who can press well but if there is somebody there who can press and pass then he would be picked I’m sure. Gibson has displayed an inability to perform anywhere near required level as yet unfortunately. Andrews, Whelan and Green are all ahead of him in the pecking order and deservedly so based on international form. Fahey is another option for centre midfield too and Trap has indicated McCarthy may get a look in for Norway game.

Green isnt an option. If he plays against Russia we will be destroyed in midfield. McCarthy went on the piss instead of playing in the summer friendlies so he can take a nice long sabbatical as far as I’m concerned. Fahey wont really fit centrally into Trap’s plans either. Good to see Gibson get a game tonight, we really need him to come through. Lets hope Andrews is fit next month and getting games at club level. I’ve never really seen much of Wilson. He seems a decent athlete though so I’m surprised Trapp hasnt been more keen on him.

Amazing that you write off your fellow Ulsterman Gibson after only a handful of appearances but when it comes to Mcgeady who lets be honest hasnt been up to it at international level despite closing on 40 caps you turn a blind eye.

[quote=“KIB man, post: 513409”]
Green isnt an option. If he plays against Russia we will be destroyed in midfield.[/quote]
Did you see him play for Ireland yet? Careful now, you’ve made mistakes like this before.

Hmmm you were more sympathetic of Reid for some reason. McCarthy seems to have been allowed to miss those games anyway.

I thought we’d see Wilson getting a bit-part role by now but he’s hardly setting the world alight in the EPL. Gibson is definitely the bigger hope but needs to learn that he can play a restricted role in a winning team at club level but needs to be much more involved for Ireland when selected.

God love you. I can only pity that sort of obsession.

I was more sympathetic of Reid as he is the more talented player and has proved himself at international level in the past. Reid was ‘allowed’ miss the camp but never played a minute for Trap afterwards despite being in a few squads even post the guitar nonsense. McCarthy hasnt been picked for a squad since he got Martinez to ring up so he could miss the summer friendlies. Would have been a chance to establish himself in the pecking order so seemed a bit strange. He didnt get picked for the last two games where the likes of Fahey delivered when called upon so would say he is well down the list at the moment especially with Duff, Andrews and possibly Hunt to come back in. Strange for you to say that Wilson is hardly setting the world alight in the EPL - he has just played his first game for Stoke replacing Whelan and had a few EPL clubs after him after playing in difficult circumstances at Pompey last season. McCarthy aint exactly setting the world alight at Wigan so I cant understand the clamour to have him included. Think people believed the bullshit talk about Bayern Munich etc after him. The paddies are worse than the poms for hyping up their own.

I’ve seen the most of the Georgia game at this stage - our midfield particularly Green looked horrendous. Whelan and McGeady looked pants aswell. (make sure to add it to your avatar now). A midfield of Lawrence, Whelan, Green and Mcgeady is incredibly slow. Actually bar St.Ledger who seems quick and O’Shea, who doesnt seem caught for pace too often but aint exactly a speed merchant at the same time, we lack pace all over. Very vunerable to a team playing to a high tempo particularly if our wide players dont tuck in. Our defence will rarely have the luxury of playing a high line either now that the honey monster seems back. The one thing Andrews has is that he is an athlete and brings bite. He will be badly needed in the games against Slovakia and Russia.