Ireland v France ☘

It was as good an effort as bazanus was a bad one.

What made Bazanu’s that bad? The fact that he didnt stop it?

I’ll leave you to tease this one out.

Its a very restrictive methodology to use is all.

:slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The Jocko & Portuguese leagues are comparatively high on the European league coefficient table?

Another cunt asking a question with a question :person_facepalming:

Kerr and Delaney were right about level of opposition we were facing in friendlies in preparation for games like last night.

The Sporrans are circling

Why? We played as well as could be expected last night as we generally do in those kind of games. I don’t see how playing Brazil in a friendly would have made us play better.

Our problem has been breaking down teams worse than us so surely makes more sense to play those teams in friendlies?

3 Likes

You’d be paying €2m minimum to get the Brazialians to appear. Doesn’t leave much margin for everything else to be paid

The Dutch look inferior to the Greeks at the moment.

We need the French to steamroll everyone now, and then ourselves, the Greeks and the Dutch to get into a messy points dropped everywhere battle

1 Like

Yes I didn’t even take into account that organising suitable friendlies against the top teams would be borderline impossible

The game went largely as expected last night. We played well, as we usually do against the better sides. Kenny got his tactics spot on in fairness. The shape of the team was good, he picked the right personnel and all his subs made an impact.

A lot of the French are lazy out of possession, and have fellas that can be got at in defence. And we did well against those. I think most of our players did quite well doing their jobs, which makes the defeat so sickening.

France didn’t cut us open, an absolutely awful mistake when we actually had a break on. If they had actually created something, it wouldn’t have been so bad. And then a ridiculous save from Maignan at the end.

Obviously we can’t play the same away against Greece and expect to win, Kenny got his tactics right there, but that won’t do the next day. A bit more creativity, a bit more threat in the final third will be needed. That will probably suit Ferguson more, he did well but was very isolated for the large part and doesn’t have the raw pace to threaten in behind against Konate & Upamecano; Ogbene was always going to be the outlet (it’s a pity he didn’t get a few minutes against Pavard too who is not as quick as Hernandez, although a better defender).

I wonder could you get Idah & Ferguson playing up top together. Idah is a very good hold-up player, he’s got a good touch and he links up the play well; if Ferguson was able to play off him, we’d create a bit more. Problem with Idah is he’s not a finisher. Or could Idah do a Jon Walters-esque right wing target man job? And put Ogbene on the left.

3 Likes

Doesn’t even need to be Brazil. Get someone at least 10 places ahead of ourselves, instead of shit like Oman and Qatar which we have been playing the last while. Pay €2m for a team? You think that wouldn’t be made back up on gate receipts? People would turn up if the opposition is in anyway half decent. Also! Why are we always playing friendlies at home?

Oman and Qatar probably pay the Fai for friendlies.

Just looked it up, 25,000 at that Qatar friendly. They need arses on seats to also make money, no?

We played Argentina back in 2010 too. That was a solid 0-0 draw against the Brazilians in 2004 as well under Kerr. We were tremendous in friendlies back then.

I think that’s a game in the Emirates back around February 2010 that you’re thinking of. They beat us 2 or 3-0.

1 Like

Dela had us dining at the top table of world football.