Ireland v Netherlands - Sunday, 7.45pm

Id have no background in or love for soccer but my experience mirror opposite of that. Local soccer club provides outstanding coaching at my young fellas level. V well organized. GAA is average in comparison

1 Like

It is in its hole, kids love football to an unbelievable degree, kids want to be stars. It is never ever done for in this country unless you drop an atomic bomb. There is some history of great players on this Island.

The national team is an embarrassment at this point. We’re like the Faroes or Gibraltar.

We’d go off 1/20 against either

When did Ireland ever produce a lot of quality players? There was over representation in England due to the home players rule, without that and a few imaginary grannies Ireland produced the occasional player but very little. How many every get scouted in other European leagues? How many managers or coaches work abroad?

I thought there was a plan in place to copy Iceland or Scotland or whoever and work on skills.

Eh, st kevins nurtured the best young player in the world

1 Like

Duff would be great

2 Likes

That post is absolute bullshit from yer man. I despise the fai but they can’t be held responsible for mismanagement at club level. Most clubs in east cork at the grassroots level are immaculately run, with fuck all resources

2 Likes

Bang, they should do it

Id take Duff over Big Sam for sure.

2 Likes

Carrigaline have an amazing set up, within 15 miles of me you’ve midleton, ramblers, wanderers, springfield. A bit further out, leeside, youghal, all with incredible set ups and clubs. My own local club developed their own all weather, the equipment room is full to the brim with balls, bibs cones and medical gear, a tiny club competing with a huge gaa club. Its all down to the chairman and volunteers.

4 Likes

I played underage and liked it but it’s night and day the facilities and the structure the local soccer has now. Done on a shoestring. Joined the MSL there a few years ago too and were promoted last season. Huge numbers

Kids want to love the soccer it’s an open door if you treat them well

1 Like

The problem with soccer is lads don’t give back the same way the do in the GAA. You don’t have the same ethos of ex players coming back giving their time.

Althought thats changing now. Of the players I’ve played with locally, a good lot of them are coaching and managing teams

3 Likes

We’ve a decent history of producing players even post high watermark 90-94

Given
Carr
Finnan
Cunningham
Dunne
O’Shea
Duff
Kinsella
Duff
Robbie Keane
Wes
Brady and a few more

Theyre probaly all minimum 30 million pound players today

We’ve probably 5 or 6 of those now as well but the coach doesn’t have it. Ireland are never that bad

2 Likes

Who will never play for Ireland again? Duffy, Coleman, Hendrick, McClean, Doherty for me.

Unbelievable credit due. Have seen it, massive talent in the area. It is only right.

I watched them play my local u19s team recently in a cup game. Theyve about 4 players at that age will play at a better level. And loads more coming after them

3 Likes

Hate to say it about Coleman, but they should all go. Festy should play right side.

Legit think the best is ahead of us with football in this country.

Team V Greece
Bazunu
Omobamidele
Collins
O’Shea
Festy
Manning
Hodge
Cullen
Moran
Ferguson
Idah