Ireland v Switzerland - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Glenn had another fine outing tonight. I think he is only as limited as the system he is in, he can play a bit of ball if that’s what’s required of him.

Apparently when Tony Pulis was leaving Stoke he said to Whelan the greatest compliment I can pay you is that I kept trying to buy lads to replace you but they never did.

Some servant.

McClean had a strong finish but was poor until then, Stevens finished well after a very poor start.

Duffy is a beast, the one decent player we have at the moment. Coleman was solid but we need more from him, he doesn’t get forward at all. Now that might be the plan as well to be fair to him

1 Like

Do the commercial channels think it is worth it ??

Football friendlies are an awful watch. A load of disinterested lads trying not to get injured

1 Like

Yes

His greatest moment was probably away vs Austria when he got the big cut on his head and turned into a Rambo-like character, terrorising those Austrian wusses.

His goal against Italy

The stats don’t lie

4 Likes

Look who’s laughing now

This term needs to be used more

1 Like

Good shout @the_man_himself

Great never say die attitude in that team and all the coaching in the world wont give you that, limited as fuck but if you don’t put us away with a two goal lead we will nearly always score, it’s nearly psychological at this stage when opposition only have a one goal lead heading down the stretch.

Realistically 4 pts from the final 3 games is what we can achieve and as someone said earlier a decisive result between the Swiss and the Danes would be a nice boost. A loss at home tonight and we were done. We are still there you know and we are still in with a fighting chance.

2 Likes

Just back from the pub where the post game discussion got heated to the point of a lad storming off in an argument over whether Shane Long should be in the squad/team. I think Shane needs to play with McGoldrick. Mcgoldrick will drop deep and provide the bullets and Long will take 3 out of every 10 chances. If Duffy, Hourihane and Keogh weigh in with 2 each we’ll make it. Come on Ireland.

1 Like

What options bar McClean do we have for left back with Stevens out next time? I wonder if it could be a chance to try the 3/5 at the back with McClean at left wing back and Didsy and Robinson in a front two with maybe Coleman as the right centre half and Doherty right wing back

If Parrot scores 1 or 2 tomorrow night for the U21s then the clamour for him to get a place in the next squad will go up again. No harm in having him on the senior squad we are short on goalscorers no one expects him to be the messiah at 17 but plenty of other international sides including the Welsh are giving youth a chance.

McCarthy is too conservative. We had the winning of that game tonight. All told he’s a dinosaur. The team abandon his plans once we go one nil down and look what happens.

1 Like

Think Aaron Connolly is more likely to come into the squad than Parrott at this stage. Really good player, came on for Brighton against Man City in the PL and scored in the League Cup so hopefully he can force his way in there

1 Like

We have being doing that for decades it’s an Irish footballing trait that we play far better when we go behind and have to chase a game it has been that way for as long as ive watched Irish games.

I’m genuinely excited to watch the 21s tomorrow night with the amount of firepower available upfront!

3 Likes

Will be interesting to see what Spock does for that u21 game. He prefers the 1 up top. He’ll play Connolly on the wing I’d say and then it could be one place on the team between Parrott, Obafemi and Idah. I’ll definitely try to see that game tomorrow