Ireland v Switzerland - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Is it going to be televised? Many of the 17s on the squad? Joe Hodge?

Only two things bring about all the TFK community banding together, the Irish international side and the birthday of Jesus Christ :clap:

Goalkeepers : Caoimhin Kelleher (Liverpool), Gavin Bazunu (Manchester City)

Defenders : Danny McNamara (Newport County, on loan from Millwall), Lee O’Connor (Manchester United), Dara O’Shea (West Bromwich Albion), Conor Masterson (QPR), Darragh Leahy (Bohemians), Nathan Collins (Stoke City), Liam Scales (UCD AFC)

Centre Midfielder s: Jayson Molumby (Millwall, on loan from Brighton and Hove Albion), Jason Knight (Derby County), Conor Coventry (West Ham United), Jake Doyle-Hayes (Cheltenham Town, on loan from Aston Villa).

Attacking Midfielders : Jack Taylor (Barnet), Dan Mandroiu (Bohemians), Gavin Kilkenny (AFC Bournemouth), Zack Elbouzedi (Waterford).

Forwards : Adam Idah (Norwich City), Jonathan Afolabi (Celtic), Aaron Connolly (Brighton and Hove Albion), Michael Obafemi (Southampton), Troy Parrott (Tottenham Hotspur).

I’d say it’s probably on Eir. That’s the squad. Best we’ve had at that level in years I’d wager. That ex Liverpool donkey Masterson started in the Toulon tournament but Collins has got some game time at Stoke so he will line up alongside O Shea at centre half I’d say with O Connor and Leahy the full backs. That Knight chap in centre mid has started Derby’s last few games so he will presumably start alongside Molumby in midfield and it’s hard to know what he’ll do from there. Connolly and Elbouzedi on the wings I’d say and then any two of the other attacking midfielders/strikers

3 Likes

Stevens’ first 20/30 minutes tonight was about as bad as I’ve seen. Heavy first touches, dribbling the ball out of play with nobody near him, tentative, misjudging easy passes, messing up trickier ones, turning into trouble, hoofing it away, nearly decapitating a lad. In fairness he stuck at it and had a decent second half.

Was disappointed with Hourihane. He doesn’t offer much in general play. Robinson was below par too. Thought Hendrick was good and showed leadership qualities. McClean did superbly for the goal and delighted for McGoldrick.

I think people watching on TV might not necessarily get a true feel for the game because that was a sensational Ireland display tonight. A fantastic brand of football and full of heart. Thank you Mick.

:ireland::soccer::clap:

10 Likes

Collins is captaining Stoke lately I think? Only 18!

1 Like

Agree we did some things in that first half which I was really encouraged by and didn’t know we had in us, Robinson’s little flick to Hendrick, and then Hendrick’s lovely feet to create the chance for McClean, Didsy making a fool of Schar and nearly playing Robinson in, the play leading up to Didsy’s scuffed shot was also very good iirc

A tad harsh

He’s 21 and written off as a donkey.

He hasn’t played a competitive senior game of football yet as far as I’m aware.

No reason to label him a donkey tho … he thought he might make it and held on at a big club, probably a bit too long…i’d say give him a couple of years before writing him off altogether. Shane Duffy was with Everton and couldnt get a game and went out to Yeovil and Blackburn at 22/23 … Agreed that he needs to start playing first team football now tho

Ireland Ireland Ireland

1 Like

Shane Duffy had played senior competitive football by age 17. Masterson is 21 on Sunday.

Bob Radcliffe cup?

I would agree with much of that. Wouldn’t quite say sensational but it was a solid performance and bodes well for our chances. The first ten minutes and the 10 minute spell leading up to their goal aside we were pretty comfortable throughout and they very seldom looked like cutting us open.

The tactic of switching McGoldrick out to the right flank and Robinson/Judge playing through the middle at times worked well as it allowed us to press their back three better and also gave their centre backs something different to think about.

It was heartening to see that we at least tried to keep the ball and play out from the back and into midfield the majority of the time as opposed to the full back rolling it inside for the centre half or keeper to launch ad nauseam as was the case in O’Neill’s last campaign. We are really lacking an above average ball playing midfielder in that midfield three. Would improve us no end.

Coleman, Duffy, Keough, Whelan, Hendrick and McGoldrick were solid throughout while McClean had a fine second half and Stevens improved after a terrible first 35 minutes but is still very average and won’t do at this level.

2 Likes

That’s the crux of it … If we had any kind of ball player at all in there we would be a completely different team.

Little point lamenting it now but if we had Rice in the Whelan role and Grealish in for Hourihane and Robbie Brady left back we would have a very tidy side

2 Likes

I would be hoping Alan Browne could force his way in instead of Hourihane. He has a bit more about him.

Hopefully McCarthy can regain some sort of form.

Hourihane always flatters to deceive

I think he is a decent player to have against the lesser teams when there is more time on the ball and less defensive work needed.

I see there were a few comments about Hendrick on here last night, watching it in the Aviva I thought he was really solid. Did a huge amount of pressing and tackling, ran at the Swiss with the ball and linked well with Robinson and McGoldrick.

1 Like