Ireland v Switzerland - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Twas a bit harsh in fairness. @Cicero_Dandi is right though, if he was any way rated by Liverpool while he was there he would’ve been out on loan. A joke he got to 21 without playing a game of men’s football. He should have forced his way out on loan or permanently long before now. Doesn’t seem to be able to get near a QPR squad even now

He probably will start for the u21s as Collins is out injured

1 Like

Didsy and Robinson are both out for the next game with injuries.

Surely Shane Long will get a call up?

So that’s Stevens, Robinson and McGoldrick missing.

Stevens cab probably play the friendly but surely someone else will play left full in preparation for Georgia

Stevens dribbling the ball out in the 1st half was one of the worst things I’ve seen in international football. If Gibraltar did it you’d tip your head back and laugh.

The biggest problem I see at the moment is the fitness of the players. It could turn into a bigger problem as the season progresses and the other teams have players playing regularly but we don’t.

:astonished:

Or maybe they’ll be fresh as fuck to run around chasing opponents ( putting them under pressure ).

Whether some of the Squad are playing regularly or not won’t impact on their training & fitness.

Match sharpness is another debate.

It’s tomorrow night’s friendly against Bulgaria that they are missing. Not the next qualifier that Stevens is suspended for.

I said that in the last bit of the post you forgot to read/quote.

1 Like

Ok. It was a badly laid out post. A misunderstanding was inevitable.

7 Likes

OK, I’m going to come clean here.

I read the article, forgot we were playing a friendly, panicked, remembered and fucked in the bit at the end as an edit.

Thanks for pointing it out

4 Likes

I read your post over the weekend, found it a little muddled but didn’t comment at the time.

Re Ken Early’s article. I don’t recall Brian Kerr being a progressive coach. I remember his Ireland team playing very dull football.

3 Likes

+1

Woeful football.

yeah it was a shit show. I should have just deleted it.
Anyway, Kerr played pragmatic football. His record stands up there with most really.
His face never fit.
He had a record of played 33, won 18, drew 11 and lost 4. Scoring 39 and conceding 20.
That’s up there with the best of them (Irish managers)
The defeats came against Italy, France, Nigeria and Switzerland.
Notable results, wins against France, Portugal, Croatia, Czech Republic and a draw with Brazil. i forgot away against Holland

1 Like

He never went for it i felt… very conservative in games i felt we could have had a right go in.

did Steve Staunton go for it? Did Trappatoni? Did O’Neill
Mick’s side only go for it when we are one nil down.

Kerr was a very fine manager

Kerr had better players at his disposal than the rest of those tbf

I’m judging Kerr on Kerr — His team / players available were also higher standard tahn some of the others you named … I’ve no major gripe against him, just thought in games where we should have had a rattle, he was too conservative

he has the best win ratio of any Irish manager.
He may have had better players, although that’s a very subjective argument. He achieved the best results.
Did Ireland have better players than France, Croatia, Holland etc who he managed to beat?

If he went for it and turned a win into a draw or a draw into a loss, he’d have been pilloried as well. As I said, his face never fit. People excuse his good record.

1 Like

Friendlies are irrelevant, it’s not rubby

1 Like

He didn’t qualify for anything and set up defensively in most games, even friendlies, for whatever reason. Presumably to pad out his stats.

1 Like

this he had a better team lark is nonsense as well

this was his starting eleven in qualifier against France

Given
Carr
Cunningham
John O’Shea
Dunne
Kilbane
Roy Keane
Duff
Reid