Ireland v Switzerland - Euro 2020 Qualifier

a club would want to be mad to have him given his history… that horse has bolted.

what mistakes did he make after Granny gate mate? He drew a line through his Irish career there and then.

Being honest mate, I just wanted to see @myboyblue defend the ex -Man City player - like Utd fans would defend Keane … he didnt let me down. I’ve nothing against Ireland nor do i care what he is doing with his life.

1 Like

I’m a City fan and I’d defend both.
I think if Keane was around he’d have defended Ireland a bit more too and that little bollix Hunt would have been a bit more quiet

What a climbdown.

I defended against bullying, you showed your true colours sadly.

You said the fans gave him an awful time - which was just lies - you switched then to the dressing room antics, which was a bit of high - jinx that went a bit too far… you’ve really dug in here to defend the ex -Man City man

They mocked him about his grannys and his hair. There are no lies there. The YBIG lads are idiots to a man. I stand by that.

I dont know anyone in the YBIG brigade so I wont comment.

In fairness if City hadn’t treated him so badly as a young single father he probably would have been fine

Thank God for that. IIRC @Sledgehammer was and still is a big wheel down at that cracker factory

Agreed. City were a mess. Thank Allah for Sheikh Mansour.

Hard to disagree with that … a vile club.

That the ybig website your on about? Some fair tools on that allright.

I remember hunt been on the Ray Darcy show one time and he was very smug about the whole Stephen Ireland situation. Basically admitted bullying Ireland.

@Little_Lord_Fauntleroy
we were ridiculed of course for pointing out the obvious last week
the team should be fucking built around the man

1 Like

So true

ok
Yes his dad was reportedly a brilliant footballer - he played schoolboys for Ireland (pun, etc)
my memories of his dad are primarily in the late 80’s 90’s starring in the pub 5 a side tournaments that would take place in a farrmers field during the summer - my da used always be charged with reffing the whole tournament and id be up in the field chasing stray footballs - he would have been in his 20’s then but never played senior football - im not sure did he ever even play MSL - but per the old lad him , Frank O Neill and Tony Ward were the best he saw…

Soccer at home is huge and it trumps everything , GAA is nothing
During the summer when we were kids the cops organised a community soccer street league u-8 to u18 to keep fellas from going off the rails - now the standard here was very high , it was estates vs estates and then lads from the country - you’d have at least 10 7 a side team per age group and it was huge - i remember one time not bothering to go to an east cork u 16 A FL game v glanmire as we were playing in this - we didnt field and glanmire wo’d - they kicked us off the gah panel but no one gave a fuck really as …
anyway we used to train for this 7 a side tournament and Mick ireland was our coach - it was class lads - i remember his showing us how to head a ball and him pinging balls around the green on to lads foreheads

anyway - where am i going with this
stephen look would have come id imagine from a tough enough background and went to england totally unprepared, i mean jesus take an average unemployed 18 year old with a couple of kids, look thats where he was- you can tell the social aspect there and background… the whole thing with the slovakia game and his comments about the grandmother were just really sad but a personification of how lost the fella was and is… i wasnt a bit suprised tbh with what he said at the time -
look lads fellas who play football professionally and leave school at 13, i think reading too much into their utterings and stutterings and attempting to analyse it is a bit undignified to be honest, what they say and do is of no consequence, they are by and large complete shagodhelpuses…
look - a young fella like that with no real spine , a few children, a personal life thats all over the gaff, making mistake after mistake…
he’s a completly harmless fella- there is no badness in him - he’s too simple for it - like he has no redeeming features - analysing what he says and does - its non value added as he cant even figure it out himself really and is just getting by i think…

he was utterly oustanding as a footballer tho
now he left home at 14 but i have never in all my life seen a player like him underage- ever…
there were some unreal fellas around - we had John O flynn playing center forward for us all the way up - what a fucking player that man was…
you know i go back to that 7 a side in cobh - we won the u 16 in 97 i think, we had an 11 year old up front in the final game - was at forest by 16 - dead at 23 of a cocaine and drink OD, that lads is the environment, ireland did well to get make it as far as he did

4 Likes

Was tally the father’s nickname?

I played with and against a lot of lads from cobh, they could all play ball. They all ran hot though. I always found playing against a cobh team if you got them turned on each other they’d beat themselves

no - tally was stephen-
coochie was the father

No one in cobh is called by a given name.

I never heard Sonia O’Sullivan called anything else except Sonia

Except when David Coleman called her “Maire O’Sullivan” during a race at the 1990 European Championships in Split (he genuinely did)

Edit: he definitely did - it’s right at the start here

29 years that useless nugget has stuck in my brain and that’s the first time I watched it back

2 Likes