Ireland Verus Italy - 10/11/09

Great news this. Hopefully he doesn’t break down.

Steven Reid’s return to the Republic of Ireland squad looks set to be confirmed tomorrow following the midfielder’s timely return to action for Blackburn Rovers on Tuesday.

Reid played 75 minutes of the 1-0 win over Nottingham Forest in the third round of the League Cup and came through unscathed to hand manager Giovanni Trapattoni a welcomed boost as he announces his squad for the crucial upcoming World Cup qualifiers with Italy and Montenegro.

Reid admitted last week that he is hoping for a call-up, saying: ‘We’ve got the games against Italy and Montenegro next month and it’s looking like hopefully we’re going to finish second in the group. You never know though, Italy might slip up.’

The 28-year-old Londoner added: ‘Hopefully I will get the call to come into the squad for the Italy game, but I need to get a couple of games for Blackburn first.’

However, there was some concerning news about the fitness of Celtic winger Aiden McGeady, who is believed to have picked up a knock in the 4-0 Scottish League Cup win over Falkirk on Wednesday night.

Trapattoni will name his squad for the double header on 10 and 14 October on Friday afternoon in Dublin.

Hoped this would be referring to Stevie Ireland when it came up on the preview before you click in.

Should be handy enough to hop on the old bandwagon and get a ticket for this as the game itself is more or less a dead rubber.

Re Stephen Reid : Saw Carling Cup highlights last night and he gave away one of the worst handballs I’v ever seen.

[quote=“tipptops*”]Should be handy enough to hop on the old bandwagon and get a ticket for this as the game itself is more or less a dead rubber.

Re Stephen Reid : Saw Carling Cup highlights last night and he gave away one of the worst handballs I’v ever seen.[/quote]

Yep it was shocking. Went to head a ball, missed it and the ball landed on his elbow. Don’t think he would be up to starting but good to have him back in the squad. Andy Reid is on fire at the moment and also should be brought back.

That little creep is up to divilment again: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/8272613.stm

Poor divil, hope he’s alright.

Wrong date for the game. Should be 10-10-09

Was thinking that alright.

I expect tickets will be ten a penny, the FAI are trying to package them together with the Montenegro game, which I guess will put a lot of people off. I’d be surprised if either game sold out.

Yeah…moving into the big stadium has exposed the soccer crowd somewhat.

The Italian match will sell out bigot park.

No tickets being sold for this game by the Italian FA because of the poor behaviour of their fans at the last away game. So a full house is less likely.

I expect a large GGA crowd to see the football superstars.

GGA followers have a good record of attending games involving world superstars, i dont know why have you any ideas yourself why that would be Runtintin?

[quote=“The Dublin Bay Prawn”]I expect a large GGA crowd to see the football superstars.

GGA followers have a good record of attending games involving world superstars, i dont know why have you any ideas yourself why that would be Runtintin?[/quote]

Huh?

They have their ways :wink:

surprised Noel Hunt isnt in ahead of Long either. He did well when he came on against Italy.

Much prefer to see Keith Fahey and Andy Reid in the squad. Liam Miller is just off the dole queue FFS.

I see Trapp is after getting a two year extension, suppose it was always on the cards, is Dennis O’Brien paying half his salery this time…

He is indeed…

4 goals for Robbie Keane, the greatest Irish player of all time, for Spurs against Burnley today.

What an absolute legend and inspiration our captain is.:clap:

:clap::clap: