Ireland Verus Italy - 10/11/09

Glenn Whelan played quite well there against Manchester United and John O’Shea was solid and composed at right back and put away a nice header near the end. I still reckon his partnership with Dunne was more secure than the St Ledger/Dunne combination. Steven Reid wasn’t involved for Blackburn today.

Duff limped off today after 8min with a hammer inj.

Bad day for Dick Dunne today.

I heard it was a calf injury? Would be a big loss but outwide is an area we have a bit of strength in depth although I don’t think either Hunt or Lawrence have Duff’s ability or football brain.

I’d bleedin’ love to see Andy Reid start on the left should Duff be absent.

No chance of that really. If he was to play anywhere I’d imagine it would be in a central position. Doesn’t have the legs to play winger for us I would have thought.

I feel sorry for Duff and he looked in tears coming off in that game. He was apparently visibly upset when he got injured before the Bulgaria home game towards the end of last season too so he’d be gutted to miss these upcoming games. He’s had a series of niggly and some serious injuries to contend with over the last 3 or 4 years.

See that at end of Premier Soccer Saturday there.

Sunday World reporting a World Cup lifeline for Andy Reid. Trapp would consider him for an initial 40 man squad!

Michael Walker in the IT today was talking about how he’s now got the legs for haring up and down the pitch these days thanks to his new training regime.

Its amazing how fit you feel when you’re not carrying an extra 4 stone.

One would imagine so, yes. It was actually 2 stone. That’s a hell of a lot of weight. Trap’s testing my patience with this issue.

Reid’s not an out and out winger which is what Trap seems to like. While I would have Reid in the squad its not a make or break issue for me and Trap’s record speaks for itself with a lot of ordinary players in the squad. Bit of an agenda against Trap it seems but to think where we are two years ago versus where we are now speaks volumes

Its been proven (by Reid himself) that Trap was right to drop his fat ass. By Reid getting off his far ass and getting himself fit he was achnowledging that he was a disgrace to his profession. Its a shame it took him so long, but he will contribute to Ireland under Trap again, rest assured.

He’s not an out and out winger but how often have we seen Duff/McGeady/Hunt haring down the line, beating their man and getting a cross in? Hardly ever. A woefully underused tactic imo, with Doyle so good in the air.
I’ve no doubt whatsoever that Reid could do a job on the left, cutting in and delivering dangerous balls. He certainly wouldn’t give the ball away cheaply anyway.

[quote=“Thrawneen”]He’s not an out and out winger but how often have we seen Duff/McGeady/Hunt haring down the line, beating their man and getting a cross in? Hardly ever. A woefully underused tactic imo, with Doyle so good in the air.
I’ve no doubt whatsoever that Reid could do a job on the left, cutting in and delivering dangerous balls. He certainly wouldn’t give the ball away cheaply anyway.[/quote]

To be honest I wouldn’t have Reid ahead of either McGeady or Duff. He hasn’t the technical ability of McGeady or the class and balance of Duff. We have had problems in this campaign but outwide isn’t an area we have had a real issue with. Also I think Doyle hasn’t been in box often enough to get on the end of crosses to be honest. Not saying it is his fault but too often he is too deep and not in dangerous areas.

Tickets for two remaining games on sale now.
http://www.ticketmaster.ie/search?tm_link=tm_homeA_header_search&q=italy&search.x=62&search.y=16

Hopefully we’ll get at least 60,000

I wouldn’t have Reid ahead of them either but if Duff were to be injured I would.

Yeah true enough. Doubt he will be called up if Duff is out anyway as squad is 27 already.

I know. It’s a joke of a situation.

What is a joke? Who would you have left out of the wingers to include Reid?