Ireland Verus Italy - 10/11/09

I’d leave out Keogh for Reid. If we needed a goal with 25 minutes to go I’d rather see Reid come on than Folan, Keogh, Long, Hunt or anyone else.

Keogh doesn’t inspire confidence all right but is an established member of the squad. He has played out of position for us as EPL fans have said he prefers to play upfront.

He’s not a winger. He’s a front man, or just behind. And he’s good at that. But if he’s behind Folan and Long in that respect Reid should be in there as a wing option. At the very least!

Don’t think Reid has been excluded because he is an inferior player to Keogh but because he has sulked/shown a poor attitude in the past. If he was affecting spirit morale in camp I’ve no issues with him being left out though would review this obviously.

Clinton Morrison scored again for Coventry yesterday, he is another lad that should be involved in the squad at least…

It’s a weird one. He seems a great lad and he’s scored some important goals for us. Can’t see how Leon Best is ahead of him. Folan maybe too, though he’s playing (though not very often) at a higher level.

Folan is now togging for Middlesboro, it is hardly a higher level anymore, Morrison is no world beater but is a far better all round footballer than the other two and is well able to hold up the ball

Great? Wouldnt call Clint great. Should be in the squad though ahead of Long.

I mean he seems like a decent lad to have in the squad as he’s the opposite of the sterotypical sulky footballer. Didn’t realise Folan was gone to Middlesborough. He was used early in the season for Hull so I’m a bit surprised. I like Folan but Morrison deserves his place even solely for that headed goal away to Israel.

Andy Reid having a decent game for Sunderland against Wolves. First time I’ve seen him in a while. Looks fairly slimmed down alright and looks a bit more speedy than the last time I saw him.

He’s playing very well. How Trap can leave him out is beyond me.

He must be having a stormer of a 2nd half, cos he didnt do much in the first when I was watching it.

Pinpoint assist for Turners goal

Cracking corner for the 4th.

Good to hear, there was a time when he’d be on his knees at this stage of a game.

Goal for Doyle as well today but himself and Keogh have just been replaced.

They’re good together. McCarthy just gambling now.

Who will the last one be given to lads?

BBC are reporting it thus

Sunderland goal: Cruel luck for Wolves. Andy Reid plays the ball through for Darren Bent, whose shot towards the far corner takes a deflection off Michael Mancienne and beats Wayne Hennessey at his near post.

1800: That game was completely bonkers. This may be important news for fantasy football leagues: Sunderland’s fifth goal may go down as a Michael Mancienne own goal. Time for the Dubious Goals Panel to earn their corn.

from rte.ie

The injury problems are mounting for Giovanni Trapattoni ahead of the Republic of Ireland’s World Cup qualifiers against Italy and Montenegro.

Fulham have confirmed that Damien Duff will be out of action for two to three weeks after picking up a calf injury in Saturday’s defeat to Arsenal at Craven Cottage.

While it looks as though the Italy game on 10 October will come too soon, the hope is that Duff may recover in time for the second of those matches against Montenegro on Wednesday 14 October.

Hull City’s Calab Folan has also emerged as a serious doubt for the games. The striker, currently on-loan at Middlesbrough, tore his hamstring at training and could be sidelined for up to six weeks.

It was in one of the papers this morning that FIFA want to use rankings to decide the draw for the play offs

Would be nothing short of a disgrace if playoffs are seeded.