Ireland vs Spain

[quote=“Monkey Allen, post: 691014”]I’m with TTK here, if the fans would stop singing and enjoying themselves, the players would then be able to control the ball better and play a flowing passing style of football.

Sure you can blame coaching and footballing mind sets, but I think we all know that Spanish players are more comfortable on the ball because their fans don’t sing as much.

There is no need for the FAI to set up centres of excellence or have qualified coaches in every county. They just need to stop the fans having craic and we will soon be world champions.[/quote]
I blame larryduff and his fucking singing section.

On another note, I watched last night divided as my beloved Ireland were torn to shreds by my beloved Espana. the side which was randomly selected for me in the forecast thingie.

If the FAI has anything about them they’ll replace that singing section with a horse petting section. Players and fans alike should be suitably motivated by these wonderful Irish produced animals.

have to say i think people are being very tough on mcgeady. for a player who has had to learn to defend he ran his bollix off and was one of the few players that tried to go forward with the ball every time he got it.

unfortunately one of our biggest difficulties in this tournament has been the performances of o shea dunne and given. none of them have looked at all confident and when your most experienced players get in a funk it creates greater nervousness in the lesser lights than should be the case. I felt sorry for Dunne in particular.

Hear, hear.

I thought Andrews, McGeady and Duff were solid performers last night.

I thought Andrews had a super game.

Would you sing songs and laugh during a young mans burial? No. So why do it during the death of Irish soccer. Not the time or the place.

Yes. Sang Galway Bay at a burial recently… and was privilaged to be asked.

Last night was just yet another example of Irish people expecting and receiving failure and defeat. The one thing we have excelled in historically is glorifying misery, so last night was unfortunately just the unique Irish way of doing things.

That’s a tremendous ballad. Would you sing, “Stand up for the boys in green” and “fields of athenry” in that situation?

Jesus christ, would you give it a fucking rest?

I think Andrews has (so far) come out of this tournament wit a much enriched reputation. I felt a bit sorry for Dunne as weel, so much resposibility has been laid on his shoulders, he’s only back from injury.

All our wars are merry and all our songs are sad…

I have refused to sing the Fields Of Athenry since circa 2000 when I heard it being sang at a premierhsip game of some sort.
I don’t know the words for “Stand up for the boys in green”.

Have you ever requested a self-portrait TTK? Be nice to have something to look at before you head out the door in the mornings.

What did ye actually expect?

The calls for some of the players to be brought in are laughable.

The facts are no player really has been pushing hard at club level even to get on the team.

The team itself has been decline for many years. The core who have done well under Trap have struggled badly in the last 2 games. Injuries, age and one of them playing retirement league club soccer have hit them badly. Given, JOS, Dunne, Duff and Keane are almost at the end.

I see no-one of similar ability coming in to replace them. I’d be willing to bet than McClean will be a Coleman like disappointment next season. Andrews, who has been our best player by far, is without a club. Whelan isn’t an EPL standard player really, does a job for Stoke in their rugby like football but brutally out of his depth in this tournament. Ward is a poor player, St Ledger has only recently been a regular at championship level. Walters, Long etc decent players but no more. Cox, Doyle have struggled at club level for years.

I predicted a record defeat for us in this game months ago. Russia should have beaten us by a similar scoreline twice. Croatia weren’t that great and it was disappointing to concede such bad goals against them. I’d totally change the team for the Italy game and build for the next campaign but Trap won’t.

I always felt the adoration towards our highly paid manager bordered on the ridiculous. The decision to bring on Paul Green yesterday while making no difference to the end result was hugely disrespectful to the likes of Gibson on the bench. Can see that being the tipping point for the end of Traps reign. The next qualifying campaign could well be a painful one.

As for the support, it has been magnificent. Keane and others miss the point. So many are here not just to support the team, its about being proud to be Irish no matter what the circumstances. I’ve met up with family and friends over here that I haven’t seen in years. Standing with Irish people who live all over the world for the national anthem means a lot to me anyway.

KIB Man :clap: A true Gael!

the rendition of the national anthem before the game, before any 4-0 was incredible. The best i have heard in years at any sporting ocassion including GAA and rugby

a bit late for the FAI to go after this market…think coppers has the patent for drunken irish wearing their teams colours falling around trying to climb up on horses…

Being proud (not matter how misguided) is fair enough. Being supportive of a fucking shambles is another thing.

You can tell the vast majority of Irish supporters out there never attend games. They whole singing and we’re the greatest supporters in the world is fucking cringe-worthy. These buffoons actually believe that plonking their arses on bar stools and supporting EPL teams with a pint in their hand qualifies them as real supporters. Even yer man that did the nation proud by licking that Croat bird’s tit is a fucking Liverpool fan.

whats this about licking a croats tit?