Ireland vs Spain

Great to here the Munster rugby song " The fields of Athenry" sang last night by the simpleton’s out in Poland. Reminded me of an evening in Thomond Park.

Where in Munster is Athenry? Those rogbee football fans are brainless.

Ahhhh, now I get it, knew no one could be this simple, good to have you back pal.

Did I say it was anywhere in Munster you twat.

A song wirtten by a Dubliner, about a place in Galway and adopted by the Munster rugby supporters as their ownn.

Very inclusive.

I didn’t say you did, now answer the question.

Answer what question. Is Athenry in Liverpool and Glasgow as well. I’m sure I’ve heard it sang in Anfield and Parkhead as well.

interesting John O Shea has said in an interview that it was ‘basic’ mistakes that cost Ireland dearly…

All joking aside, I must say the fans were a credit to Ireland last night. They done the country proud.
I will retract all derogatory statements made about the Irish soccer team and supporters, as they were only made to wind people up. I hope my apology is excepted.

Thank you Anto.

Song in Liverpool is a song is rehashed and sang as “The Fields of Anfield Road”
With regards to Celtic it is a song about emigration, so perfectly acceptable for them to sing it.

tipping kings sheer imbecility

Coleman, McCarthy, Clarke, Duffy,
you did notice mcclean came on last night and long did so against croatia and neither of them made the slightest difference despite great effort
harte and delap ffs two lads in their 30s neither of whom could run to save their lives ten years ago
reid either a fatty or a lad riddled with injury in his 30s
ireland a money grabbing imbecile whose presence would destroy morale utterly due to his self absorbed nonsense
westwood a career spent in the nether regions of english football and now sunderlands reserve
kelly and houlihan two journeymen plying their trade in mediocre clubs both in their late twenties and neither of whom have made a significant impact anywhere despite both being good solid professional players

best might have something to offer but no one not a buffoon could make an argument that he would definitely be better than the forwards that made the plane

clarke and Duffy are both young lads who are fringe players for their clubs. they would have to first get in their club sides for a decent ru of games and then you could talk about them
mccarthy would have been a huge asset against croatia but last night he wouldnt have made the slightest difference and he was not available for selection in any case
coleman you could make a very valid case for.

personally i would have no difficulty with trap leaving after the italy game and would like to see mick mcarthy back in the job

Spot on with all that.
Bringing on Paul Green though, actually bringing him in the 1st place was shocking, as was Glen Whelan’s performance last night. John O’Shea and McGeadey no better really. Their starting 11 last night was 4 Barca, 4 Real, 1 City, 1 Chelsea, 1 Valencia. They are a joy to watch and I hope they win it out and confirm themselves as possibly the greatest international side of all times. 4 4 2 largely redundant in the modern game, but Trap is very stubborn and will not change in his 70s. The difference in speed of thought and feet last night was staggering. All is not lost though, all of our schoolboy sides and academies are trying to play it on the deck and keep the ball, standard was up this week in the Kennedy Cup in UL.
As for the fans, more luck to them, on the piss, having a good time, no need to apologise for that. I’m fair fucking sick of The Fields of Athenry though.

Was talking to a fella who attended and he said the same.
Said the standard was way up on other years.

Kevin Foley chanced a wry smile last night.

FAI’s Emerging Talent Programme in situ for 6 years now and we are beginning to see the benefits. All teams trying to play from the back, mostly 433, a lot of good young coaches involved. Trap a law onto himself though, and qualifying for major tournaments is the immediate goal due to financial mess we’re in, so once we stumbled into these Euros our senior team were above any critical analysis.

Where did you meet him?

Only 3 minutes injury time at the end last night was a fucking disgrace.

Here’s a thought: being disappointed and distraught and singing your heart out is not mutually exclusive.

The team were outclassed and the Spaniards were in full voice. What do you do? Sit in a sombre silence or rise up and sing?

I wasn’t singing to celebrate or to try to claim some mythical “greatest supporters” tag. I sang out of defiance and pride in being Irish. I would have sang if we were winning or drawing too. It’s not really a big deal or a significant part of why we’re not winning major tournaments.

I thought Paul Green could have been brought on earlier though.

Only 3 minutes injury time at the end last night was a fucking disgrace.

Here’s a thought: being disappointed and distraught and singing your heart out is not mutually exclusive.

The team were outclassed and the Spaniards were in full voice. What do you do? Sit in a sombre silence or rise up and sing?

I wasn’t singing to celebrate or to try to claim some mythical “greatest supporters” tag. I sang out of defiance and pride in being Irish. I would have sang if we were winning or drawing too. It’s not really a big deal or a significant part of why we’re not winning major tournaments.

I thought Paul Green could have been brought on earlier though.

Yeah he wasn’t given long enough to influence the game. :slight_smile:

I’m with TTK here, if the fans would stop singing and enjoying themselves, the players would then be able to control the ball better and play a flowing passing style of football.

Sure you can blame coaching and footballing mind sets, but I think we all know that Spanish players are more comfortable on the ball because their fans don’t sing as much.

There is no need for the FAI to set up centres of excellence or have qualified coaches in every county. They just need to stop the fans having craic and we will soon be world champions.