Irelands greatest ever Statesman -Martin McGuinness

A young man of just 21 on Bloody Sunday how could a heart and mind not be subsumed to thoughts of retribution and revolution. He brought the fight to the british forces and loyalist paramilitaries who were buttressed by a colluding partisan RUC on the streets and in the bog. He championed for civil rights and the end to social apartheid. The end may be nigh for Martin but his legacy will be one of peace and reconciliation and maybe just maybe expediting a move towards a United Ireland with a reinvogorated exorcised Nationalist voter in the 6 counties. It was a remarkable stategic move in overturning a century long unionist majority in Stormount. Anything that was ever asked of him he did. Prayers for Martin and his family and friends tonight.

In the words of Mahatma Gandhi

First they ignore you
Then they laugh at you
Then they fight you
Then you win.

20 Likes

thatā€™s an excellent post
id say you would do an excellent oration

all jokes aside, this is indeed a very sad occasion, i would agree with everything you have posted above
ill respectfully say no more
im actually quite upset by the whole thing now, i actually didnt know it was this close but this man has been a constant presence since i have been around, his love for this country cannot be questioned, the man is a hero

6 Likes

A phenomenon. A great, great man who was the epitome of courage, integrity and honour. One of the greatest Irishmen ever who went from revolutionary to statesman all in the name of his country. If we had politicians with half his guts in the south we would a wonderful country.

10 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ln9QnLaWrY

Is he dead?

I donā€™t believe so, but he is seriously ill in hospital.

The TFK lifers will have their fingers on the refresh button in the race to break this news.

I like Martin, always seemed a genuine sort and showed immense bravery all through his life. A great Irish man indeed.

who were the lads on here who were posting that Ger Loughnane was dead a few years back?
there some posts quickly edited i can tell you that night @Tassotti
lads under some serious stress for writing falsehoods on the internet and contacting rocko via IM to delete quoted posts at all hours of the night
didnt one of loughnaneā€™s cousins living abroad find out he was dead via the internet and was calling his wife at all hours that night and she at is bedside,
the internet truly is a serious place

1 Like

I think it was @dubliner2 or @dubliner_2 who had Loughnane dead that morning.

Thank you, Martin McGuinness.

A great Irishman, a great man, without whom there would be no peace.

Slan leat, a chara.

13 Likes

RIP. A modern Irish hero.

1 Like

Itā€™s times like this make you grateful for what you have, mate.

I love you. bro.

1 Like

A great man.

2 Likes

Ar dheis DĆ© go raibh a anam

Agree with his politics or not he gave his whole life over to the republican cause and progressed it further than seemed possible. He brought the IRA into the peace process at huge personal risk to himself. A great pity he never got anytime at the end of his life to relax and enjoy the fruits of his labours. Another decade or two and he might have seen an independent northern Ireland at least, if not a united one. Weā€™ll never see his likes again.

3 Likes

Iā€™m very saddened by this news.

Iā€™ve great admiration for him.

:cry:

5 Likes

+1 mate. Probably the greatest Republican since independence

Please excuse me for repeating myself -

ā€˜A phenomenon. A great, great man who was the epitome of courage, integrity and honour. One of the greatest Irishmen ever who went from revolutionary to statesman all in the name of his country. If we had politicians with half his guts in the south we would a wonderful country.ā€™

8 Likes

Ireland has lost a great force for good. Heā€™d have had a long time staring his mortality in the face at the end. He was a remarkable man.
Iā€™d love to have met him more than anyone else in the world.
I hope that in the end he was satisfied with his life.
I hope his death wasnā€™t a bad one.

11 Likes

ā€œMartin McGuinness never went to war. The war come to him. It came to his street, to his city,ā€ - Gerry Adams just now on RTƉ radio.

Thatā€™s the key context plenty of people conveniently ignore.

16 Likes