Irish soccerball nil - That boy Bazunu will save us (Part 1) šŸ

There is going to be a clamour for Hoolahanā€™s inclusion. I canā€™t see him starting.

Meyler will come back in for Oā€™Dowda to partner Arter in centre mid,

That means one out of Brady, Hendrick or McClean to be dropped for Hoolahan which isnā€™t going to happen.

I can still see us keeping an eye on their full backs as was the case on Saturday night with possibly Hendrick taking over from Oā€™Dowda on the right.

A completely out there possibility is that Brady goes to left back, Ward drops out and Hoolahan plays, Dunphy will be creaming himself if that team is picked.

Brady and McLean on both wings better suited to covering fullbacks ā€” Iā€™d drop Hendrick no problem for Wes, Hendrick is offering very little this campaign. I cant see us making it stick too much up top unless we have a player that can play a pass or possibly turn a man - Wes has that ā€“ youā€™ll get a good 60 mins out of him. Iā€™d go with Wes, Mclean, Brady, Arter and Meyler across the middle.

------------ Arter -------

Mclean - Meyler - Brady

-------- Hoolahan ---------

--------Meyler, Arter----------
Brady, Hoolahan, McClean

Other option would be to play Hendrick instead of Arter. Arterā€™s distribution on Saturday night was particularly poor.

Iā€™d be very surprised if Hoolahan started

Thatā€™s the only possible way that Hoolahan plays I think.

But I canā€™t see it happening at all. Ward is a far better defender than Brady, and crucially heā€™s strong in the air which we need against their tall wide players. He was beaten for that late headed chance but heā€™s a decent defender in the air for a full back. Brady would be much too exposed but if weā€™re chasing a goal late on then thatā€™s the obvious switch - and one that Oā€™Neill has often gone for.

1 Like

We have to be careful for away goals as well so we canā€™t go all out.

Think Meyler would be the screener (cc @flattythehurdler and @gilgamboa) in that set up with Arter pressing harder and engaging them from in front.

That said, I think itā€™ll be Meyler for Oā€™Dowda with Brady moving to wide right as the only change.

I wouldnā€™t be averse to us playing Hoolahan from the start in a diamond as I thought we were very good at home to Serbia in that set up. I thought it was our best home display of the group but it was also the only game we lost.

We need more from Brady and Hendrick but I acknowledge @Big_Dan_Campbell ā€˜s point that they havenā€™t benefited from continuity of role.

Overall, I think weā€™ll take them on by doing what Cunningham said - pushing up higher as a unit, playing more aggressively and looking to overpower them and demoralise them. Probably bring on Hoolahan if needed in the last 20.

1 Like

He wonā€™t. I think heā€™d offer more than Hendrick, but St Martin will keep it tightā€¦ Itā€™s a shame as this crowd are ordinary enough.

Martin will be setting us up to keep it at 0-0 for as long as possible. We havenā€™t been scoring goals at all, so we need to beat them to nil. Iā€™d imagine weā€™ll play exactly like we did Saturday, and hold the 0-0 till 60 or 70 minutes then try and steal it at the end.

I donā€™t disagree that heā€™ll be okay if itā€™s 0-0 after an hour but I really donā€™t think weā€™ll be as reactive as Saturday. I expect us to push up on them and, to quote an old line, put them under pressure.

1 Like

Brady would want to up heā€™s performance. Has been terrible.

1 Like

To be fair itā€™s very hard to be a winger or a forward in that team. The ball is just pegged over your head all night

True,itā€™s woeful stuff.

Here were you out in the car around Baldoyle there earlier.

I sure was. School time ish.

Will there be any hope of getting a ticket outside the ground tomorrow evening?

Only if you make a hilarious sign.

Thereā€™s a superfan at work who canā€™t wait. France in the Euros was his last match although he was at the Lenster hurling final in fairness.

4 Likes