Irish pubs abroad

It’ll be a deeply unpopular view on here but I like visiting famous Irish pubs abroad.

https://twitter.com/pubssaving/status/1753497339019301128?s=46

4 Likes

The Colosseum by day and McDaid’s by night is probably the ideal city break

You’re a true Oirish man in fairness.
Why the fuck one would leave the country to go look for the same shit one just left has always been a head scratcher to me.
If you’re abroad for an appreciable period of time, then having an occasional touch stone kinda makes sense. Getting off the plane and ending up in an Oirish pub…, like, what the fuck is wrong with you? Why didn’t you just stay at home.

6 Likes

You are one incredibly angry person.

3 Likes

@BruidheanChaorthainn has a solid track tecord of travelling halfway round the globe only to find himself sitting misty eyed, longing for the old country, in the arms of a lad who left the old sod in the seventies and who has a brother a guard in Ballaghaderreen.
I actually find it quite touching

Never heard of either.

Mcdaid’s is an amphitheatre in Rome and the Colosseum is a pub in Ranelagh

6 Likes

Two of the bigger pubs in Rome are owned by a guy from Wexford. Nice man.

I’d say my favourite pub abroad is dillions on 36th street. Not the usual shape of a good pub but it’s a fine spot and has some great history on the walls. The only down fall is toilet.

Theres an excuse for seeking a refuge in a hole like new york…if its your firat tine there

I like New York but if I had a few holiday to Dubai tomorrow I wouldn’t go. I guess we’re all different.

You’re a brave man; you’re holding a mirror up to most of the forum who will attack you but ultimately you are right. Most of the best piss ups I’ve had in other countries were in Irish pubs

8 Likes

Therebis no new york. There are times when someone or something happens there, but being there when it happens is just luck

What? :joy:

1 Like

I’ve never been one to go with the crowd on here.

I’m 100% behind you mate

1 Like

I’d love to own my own pub I couldn’t do it in Ireland or locally anyway. I’d fall out with regulars too easily.

1 Like

It wouldn’t even enter my brain to go to an Irish pub abroad unless i was looking to watch a match. That’s absolutely mental carry on. Think i went to an Irish pub in Tooting a few years ago alright as it was next door and a Sunday night… I’ve always been a confident guy tho.

2 Likes

I thought you didn’t drink full stop?

2 Likes

Most of the best piss ups I’ve had abroad have been on trains which were effectively turned into Irish pubs for the duration of the journey. In fact most of the best piss ups I’ve had in any country have been on trains.

Someday somebody will come up with the gimmick of a train simulator pub, and it will fall completely flat on its face.

I drink on occasion.

I absolutely drink when away. I love going in to random pubs and trying drinks I’ve never had, particularly during the day. I love stopping off in a supermarket and picking up a couple of cans if some random beer also to try while getting ready to head out for the night… I absolutely love tasting new food and drink when away and wouldn’t dream of going near an Irish pub

1 Like