Irish pubs abroad

There’s something very wholesome about going into an Irish pub out foreign in the height of summer and taking in GAA match.

You wouldn’t have a clue who is togged out for Sligo or what injuries might be affecting Longford but somehow your inner Martin Carney comes out and you can waffle away to John and Mary from Baltinglass about how Wicklow are going well under new management and discuss the intricacies of the mark over a pint.

12 Likes

I remember being in southie one morning in a pub called the clock tavern. It was more Irish than Ireland.

You see I wouldn’t really be into food at all. In fact I’d hate the whole dining concept. So any pub or tapas type thing would be a major no no for me.

I remember going to the auld triangle in Halifax, Nova Scotia, to watch the Munster Final in 2003 and drinking from about 10am to 10pm and getting an education on Irish history by two nordies in 50s/60s

Dining? Give me something from a van in a market any day.

“Wicklow are going very well under their new management team, it must be said.”

1 Like

I’m not actually sure it’s an Irish bar but bugsys in Paris is a fine spot. Not far off the moulin rouge. The owner used to run the James Joyce back in the 90s. It’s another 360 bar and it’s something I’ve noticed that they are usually good fun. Not many of them in Ireland I’ve come across.

Kids rocks in Nashville is another 360 bar that impressed me.

This is actually the thread that will define, break and decipher the forum. Clear distinctions will be made between those who frequent Irish pubs abroad, those to whom such an aberration would never occur, and those who would leave such decisions up to their life partner

Confused Excuse Me GIF by The Swoon

If you wanted a bar that would be actual good fun it’d be one which serves pints for €3.60 rather than one with a 360 degree bar.

I’d say there’s fellas on here would just sit in a shit tapas bar in some Kip like Marbella drinking cheap piss eating shrimp or squid on brown bread on their own just to say they didn’t go to an Irish bar in case they’d be judged on here.

8 Likes

Cost of a pint never bothered Me tbh. You’d get cheaper pints around Dublin but very few better pubs than the dame tavern.

Liqour costs an arm and a leg in New York but there’s
Some brilliant pubs all over it.

Fair point. But there’s a life outside places like new york and marbella. Pardon my intrusidude, but i think you would enjoy broadening your horizons a little

2 Likes

Who goes to Marbella? New York is a complete shit hole, it’s falling apart

Dont know about marwhatever. New york is a place to make money…place is full of A game. No fun, though, unless you’re a tourist

I was seriously impressed with it recently. Maybe it was the weather being very cold and dry but it felt a lot cleaner and safer than my Last Visit.

The place is absolutely booming as well.

I’ve been to a fair few different counties but I just like New York. I really really liked Venice/Florence and Rome.

Just recently I visited Madrid and Barcelona. Both are grand but not my cup of tea.

I’d like to go to the south the next time i go to the states and take in some blues and country/bluegrass.

Furtherest I’ve been is Tennessee. The people are A1.

A new carpet or a gate?