Irish Soccer Players Abroad

So heā€™s shit and he still thinks heā€™s too good for us. This is even more depressing.

Look it, heā€™s no Darragh Lenihan, but heā€™d surely be a good squad player.

Saw that they were trying to get Duffy from Dundalk to switch from Northern Ireland. Excellent player at LOI level. Its never gonna happen but I wish less Irish players played in the championship. An awful league

Itā€™s not too bad at the back TBF.

Randolph going well with Boro by all accounts. 2 goals conceded in 1st game but 4 clean sheets in a row since so canā€™t be bad.
Coleman playing all the time at an above average (just about) PL team.
Duffy playing all the time at a slightly below average PL team.
Clark playing all the time at a slightly below average PL team.
Ward playing all the time at a bang average PL team.

So all 4 defenders playing PL at reasonable enough clubs and the keeper playing at top end of Championship.

Hourihan in and out of a decent championship side. Few starts, and a few sub appearances.
Hendricks playing all the time at a bang average PL team.
Meyler playing all the time in a piss poor championship side (to date this season anyway)

Starting to slip now, but weā€™ve lined out with similar standard of players in the past with reasonable success.

Oā€™Dowda. Gets a run as a sub for an average championship team
Burke. Starting in an average at best Championship side.
McClean. Starting in an average Championship side. At least he was.
Long. In and out of a struggling PL side.

Real quality drop here.

We should be solid enough at the back but weā€™ll have very little going forward. Iā€™d start Burke out of those options at least he knows where the goals are. There are centre halves with better scoring records than Long at this stage.

1 Like

I had to look up where Kristiansund wasā€¦

absolutely
no reason why robbie benson, chris shields, sadlier, graham cummins, duffy (yeah but he is NI) cant be thrown into these sqauds
we need goals so put in pat hoban- i dont care if he came back from the UK- the man is scoring for fun
its even worse for the u-21, thatā€™s a collection of 2nd/3rd gen irish lads who you have never heard of and never will again- we have virtually no players who ever progress thru- that squad should have a lot of young LOI players in it
this whole shite of you have to pass this acid test of playing in some league like league 1 is damaging the league here and is demeaning football in this country

1 Like

think longford town

1 Like

agreed with you 100%
did you see Hendricksā€™s goal on MOTD2 last night?
took a shot hit the defender and rebouded off hendricksā€™s shin and it went in somehow
i think he has regressed as a footballer tbh, 2016 was the high point of his career v sweden
i wrote about burnley earlier and the way olympicos played them off the park the other night, EPL w/o top 5/6 is not much different to top half championship

1 Like

Arter is a pure fucking scut as well
the carry on of him there v huddersfield the other night- warnock probably loves him and fair enough

If you canā€™t believe in a guy who kisses the badge in this day and age then I just donā€™t know anymore.

Where would you rank LOI? Bottom half of championship standard? Maybe Dundalk and Cork slightly above with the worst LOI teams probably league one level

Itā€™s enough to make a man cynical

Har de har har John Delaney is a great man. Haha shur heā€™s worth every penny wink wink. Did you see John bought a slab of cans ha ha ha.

Where are ye now ye cunts?

3 Likes

LOI has regressed and you can see based on 2018 UEFA cup/ UCL qualifiers results
right now:

cork dundalk -league one to bottom half championship
waterford derry - league one ish maybe
the rest - anywhere to the vauxhall conference
(ok im being harsh but we do see some appalling defending escpecially

the biggest difference is the speed at which the game was played
we were watching padraig almond at newport and orient in league 2 last season before wales in cardiff when maclean scored - the game is qucker than LOI - LOI is more physical, a lot more but the game is just so fucking slow

What do you want John to do? Kidnap Rice and force him to play for us?

i dont think JD can do anything here apart from bribe Rice which would be unethical
this isnt the OCI we are talking about here

He is the one who has presided over the shambles that is Irish soccer and he gets paid a fortune to do so. This is the chickens coming home to roost for ye lads now.

2 Likes

What chickens? These things happen in football and they happen to every country

How can a fella get three Ireland caps and then head off playing for another country? This bates banagher. Does this happen all the time in ground football?

Rugby lads, questioning eligibility rules, well that certainly does bate banagher.

1 Like