Irish soccerball nil - That boy Bazunu will save us (Part 1) šŸ

Of those 3, Arter would be the one Iā€™d pick for the holding role. I think heā€™s a nice footballer, and I donā€™t think heā€™s reached the levels that he can for Ireland yet.

To be honest, I donā€™t know if heā€™s had a clearly defined role in the midfield and has looked a bit lost at times.

I donā€™t think heā€™s ideally suited to the holding midfield role like Meyler is but I think giving him a clear role might get him involved more. Heā€™s a nice passer of the ball and is well able to get stuck in. Is he a bit indisciplined for that role when you have someone like Eriksen floating around? Maybe.

Whelan is relatively effective at times but he doesnā€™t impose himself the way Meyler does. Game can pass him by.

Arter was like a headless chicken against Georgia away, I donā€™t know if he can be trusted in such a key role. Anything but a defeat would be a decent result on Saturday, so Iā€™d tentatively give the nod to Whelan in the holding role.

Anyone think Whelan isnā€™t nailed on to start? We surely have to nick a goal over there. Oā€™Kane much better player.

When people say the ā€œholding midfielderā€ what are they saying ??

Any Villa fans been watching Houihane closely this season.
Could he play a role in a midfield 3 (assuming we play 5 midfielders with 2 wide).?
If Christie gets a yellow is Matt Doherty in for a start.

Heā€™s an attacking midfielder more so than a holding one (cc @Ashman).

Donā€™t think thereā€™s any chance heā€™ll start.

Whelan starts as deepest midfielder (apologies to John Giles)
Brady and Arter side with McClean and Hendrick wide.
Murphy to rough then up (get it in the mixer)

Northern Ireland were blackguarded there

They were but Christ they get an awful trimming .

Wales away was a 4-2-3-1 shape with Meyler and Arter deeper, Hendrick as the advanced central one and Brady and McClean on the flanks. We took a good while early on to get to grips with the Welsh midfield. Hendrick wasnā€™t getting close enough to Allen and he was finding Ramsey in space as their attacking central midfielder. But Meyler and McClean crunching Allen solved both problems in one go. Hendrick came onto a game and his pressing of Ashley Williams led to the goal.

We can go that way or with more of a diamond shape. Weā€™ve gone for diamonds along with only one out and out winger and a lone striker in several away games. Whelan at the back of the diamond, Arter narrow to his left and quite disciplined, Hendrick to the right but with more licence to get up and down and with responsibility to fill in out wide when they have the ball and then Brady at the apex of it. McClean playing high up on the left and Slab through the middle.

1 Like

Some amount of shite spouted on this thread. Like a bunch of cockney black cab drivers on the talksport phone in.

6 Likes

stick to the bogball mate.

OK bud. This 3 5 2 shite with someone in the ā€œholding roleā€ is just that.

Most havenā€™t the foggiest

you donā€™t thatā€™s for sure

I have a way better idea than most here.

You think Damien Duff knows what he is doing ffs.

The best coaches barely use ā€œformationsā€ anymore is the first thing. Not that Martin Oā€™Neill is a good coach, but anyway.

Tell us what a top coach does within weeks so. One sunday he has to play defensively against a technically better and dangerous side.
The following week he is playing a team of equal standing but brilliant on the counter.

Tell me how ypu set up the week.

Give me 2 sessions.

Chelsea changing formation won them the English league, I thought that was the key. ā€¦no?

1 Like

Who are these coaches that barely use formations?

2F9FFF24-834B-4823-91A3-CA3EFCD72FF0

1 Like

Pep no.1