Irish soccerball nil - That boy Jinky will save us (Part 2)

Tomorrow night will be a better gauge

In fairness to you the thread has been notably quiet. Fellas like big Mick and rocko definitely know their stuff and it would be interesting to hear their take on where that win and performance came out of. I found their critical analysis of Kennyā€™s poor results interesting. Maybe it was just a blip and tomorrow will tell a lot I suppose.

Iā€™d imagine most people were watching the GAA and didnā€™t see the game

Its very odd mate. Like they only post when Ireland lose. I dont understand it myself. Kenny is very poor with the media but he is a proud Irishman and id rather Kenny than some English mercenary. 2 of the best goals i have ever seen Ireland score the weekend and not a peep.

Clare v Roscommon, i doubt it.

Heā€™s talking nonsense. Winning 1 game in 3 is not worthy of much comment. You need to be able to put results back to back. Losing 3 games in a row is a much bigger deal than winning 1 game just as winning 3 games in a row is a much bigger deal than losing 1 game

Obafemi out, Daragh Lenihan starting who i saw have the worst debut ever for an Irish player v Norn Iron a few years back. Very hard to see us getting anything out of the game.

The excuses are coming

What total nonsense. Ripped apart a decent Scotland team and you still have nothing positive to say.

We didnā€™t rip apart Scotland, we actually created very little outside of Obafemiā€™s magical pass. One game means absolutely nothing. You donā€™t qualify for tournaments turning up once in three games

Blew them out of the water with intensity and workrate. Would have been 4-0 if goal line technology was available. Did Kenny ride your wife or something?

I have nothing against Kenny. Iā€™m fairly level headed when we lose games if you go back and check. You are overreacting to one result when what we really need is to put performances back to back if we want to go anywhere

Calm down Perez. It was a sensational result. And had 2 incredible quality goals, something we are certainly not used to. But the scotch were absolute muck. They could barely string a pass together, let alone passes.
What was notable was that our wing backs actually played way higher up. Our 3-5-2 was actually that (as oppossed to the 5-2-3 we ended up with against ukraine). That, the added energy and extra player in midfield put us way on top. And also goals change games obviously. And the first was as shit a goal as weve ever scored and boy did we need it.

It was actually a good goal I thought. Finish was scrappy alright but the ball in was top class and a good header back from Duffy to the runners coming in.

1 Like

I thought we played fairly well.

I was pleased to see Parrot and Obafemi start. And hopefully we donā€™t revert some of the selection changes in the next few games.

I still donā€™t think asking that back 3 to play out will end well. McGinn should have scored twice really from errors back there. Duffy is brilliant in the air but by God he canā€™t play a pass and he invites pressure because heā€™s so afraid of a high line.

We shouldnā€™t necessarily expect that sort of result all the time but the tempo and effort was much better and that should be a minimum. The slow, methodical passing around the back was less prominent. Iā€™d like to see us try and replicate it now but we may have benefited from a generous opposition who quickly lost interest.

Scotland were atrocious though. They have a decent squad of players (though lacking in important positions at centre back and centre forward) but theyā€™ve been fortunate with results which is catching up on them and their lack of a gameplan is killing them now. Their midfield should have been controlling the game but they were too far apart and they had inept centre backs trying to play out too. They were embarrassingly bad.

1 Like

It went in off his mickey and no scotch lad reacted to a ball bouncing across the middle of an open goal from the only visible tactic weve had for the last few yearsā€¦
I fucking loved it.

3 Likes

Obafemi all but ruled out for tomorrow but Ogbene might be fit.

Iā€™d say Saturdayā€™s xG was probably around 1.63-1.27 but I havenā€™t seen it yet.

We were definitely much better, and played with much more tempo and intent. Still room for improvement and we need to string results together now.

Seedings for the Euro 2024 qualifier draw from a few months back. Itā€™s taking place in October it seems.

Poland, Finland, Lithuania, Faroe Island and Andorra the dream draw there although youā€™d feel weā€™d need Delaā€™s pull to sway it that way.

The Nordies are fucked. Fantastic to see.

I have no idea how Georgia are in pot five, a really good outfit.