Is canabis a gateway drug?

Discussion I heard on Matt Coopers show last week got me thinking on this. Personally, I dont think smoking a few joints or whatever will eventually lead people onto harder drugs, but maybe everyone is different.

So basically, for the members of TFK, do you think canabis is a gateway drug to taking other drugs like cocaine, ecstasy, heroin, etc? Poll options for different viewpoints, and kept hidden in case people want to hide thier drug usage.

It’s definately a gateway drug but if you’re strong minded, moraled and willed enough you won’t let yourself get heavily involved in anything stronger than that.

Did you vote yes? Your post says no. I’m confused.

Cannabis is no more of a gateway drug than, for instance, tobacco or alcohol imo. The difference is just that cannabis is illegal and the other two ain’t.

Certainly it’s quite likely that the first illegal drug that people will have tried will be cannabis but it doesn’t logically follow that this makes it a “gateway” drug, it’s just that it’s the easiest to get. If, for example, somebody did coke when they were 18 and only got into cannabis a few years later, would it make sense to say that coke was a gateway to cannabis. I don’t think so. People who want to try different drugs will do so but just because it happens in any particular order e.g. cannabis -> coke -> heroin, doesn’t make one a gateway to the next.

Contradictory bullshit. Are you suggesting that it’s morally fine to do cannabis but anything harder is immoral? And what does strong minded have to do with anything? What if you strongly want to do hard drugs? Is pursuing it then not showing strong mindedness?

Think you’re applying your own morals and principles to the world at large Fran. And I disagree with people doing that.

[quote=“ClarkeyCat”]Did you vote yes? Your post says no. I’m confused.

Cannabis is no more of a gateway drug than, for instance, tobacco or alcohol imo. The difference is just that cannabis is illegal and the other two ain’t.

Certainly it’s quite likely that the first illegal drug that people will have tried will be cannabis but it doesn’t logically follow that this makes it a “gateway” drug, it’s just that it’s the easiest to get. If, for example, somebody did coke when they were 18 and only got into cannabis a few years later, would it make sense to say that coke was a gateway to cannabis. I don’t think so. People who want to try different drugs will do so but just because it happens in any particular order e.g. cannabis -> coke -> heroin, doesn’t make one a gateway to the next.[/quote]

I havent voted yet clarkey. Would more or less agree with your points tho. Its just hearing, especially older and somewhat misinformed, people go on about how bad cannabis is and how if people start getting into it, then its only a matter of time before they get addicted and move onto harder drugs. some people think cannabis is the worst drug as it is what leads to other drugs, and then hearing them say how people get violent and addicted to it as well, points I personally wouldnt agree with either.

[quote=“ClarkeyCat”]Contradictory bullshit. Are you suggesting that it’s morally fine to do cannabis but anything harder is immoral? And what does strong minded have to do with anything? What if you strongly want to do hard drugs? Is pursuing it then not showing strong mindedness?

Think you’re applying your own morals and principles to the world at large Fran. And I disagree with people doing that.[/quote]

Apologies CC. I’m probably talking from my own personal experience. If you want to spend your life taking drugs then that’s what your gonna do. You don’t need a “gateway” like cannabis.

Agree.

Its definately a gateway drug in that it would be through cannabis usage that one might end up having his 1st line of coke. A lad will be that bit more open to it and would have the contacts/associates to source it.

Fair play to anyone that claims their 1st drug experiance was a class A.

Gateway drug my arse.

Funny incident involving Clarkey a few years ago.

Both myself and himself had joined this new company and found ourselves invited to this house party for exam results which neither of us had did. Anyway we were chatting with the bloke who’s house the party would be in (didn’t know him at the time but know him now) and Clarkey goes as serious as you like: ‘Do you know what would be great for the party - some drugs!!’.

I presumed by that he meant dope but the other guy must have wondered what type of junkie he was letting into his gaff…

Back on topic I had a drag of a joint once and have absolutely no interest in ever having another one. I also have no interest in trying anything stronger either, not because I didn’t like canabis but because I’d like to think I have a bit of cop on.

a lot of people will tell you they were full of drink when they dropped their first pill or first snorted speed or some dust…they weren’t necessarily people who had previously smoked blow…strong minded works both ways …people might decide they want to try class A’s to see what they’re like and what the fuss is…and are determined to do so (regardless of being aware of the dangers) as much as someone else is determined to avoid it…I know when i was a teenager you knew what clubs were wall to wall full of e-heads and if that was what you wanted you went there…

Ah fuck I fucked up my vote…

Its a no from me anywya, despite my vote.

In my humble opinion:
People who have never tried drugs(hash,grass,speed E’s etc) have no validity in their arguments about whether drugs are good or bad for you.
i have had some great,funny experiences on drugs and never felt i wasted my life/youth/money whatever.
for me drugs were best enjoyed when i was a callow youth in my teens and 20’s. i had some disposable income and had no commitments or responsibilities.

Now I’m in my 30’s and have a kid i wouldnt dream of taking any drugs cos if i was to be in the kind of state i used to be when on drugs ,trying to be responsible for a young baby would not only be foolhardy but downright selfish.
any person who gets stoned or high while in charge of a child is fucking vermin in my book and derserves to die .badly. equally anyone pissed up around their child should really get their shit together.

sort of agree there josepi in that there was some auld one harping on about cannabis on the matt cooper show and saying how bad it was and how it messes people up and makes people violent and ruins peoples lives and is so harmful to their health. Yet she had no experience of it. There was some councilor lad on as well (from the wesht I think) and he is a known user and made no attempt to hide the fact, and he was making her look extremely stupid and naive.

in saying that, I have never tried heroin, but I cant see how it would be good for you.

[quote=“Gman”]sort of agree there josepi in that there was some auld one harping on about cannabis on the matt cooper show and saying how bad it was and how it messes people up and makes people violent and ruins peoples lives and is so harmful to their health. Yet she had no experience of it. There was some councilor lad on as well (from the wesht I think) and he is a known user and made no attempt to hide the fact, and he was making her look extremely stupid and naive.

in saying that, I have never tried heroin, but I cant see how it would be good for you.[/quote]

cannabis makes you more violent???..wtf have I been smoking then? Getting off the couch to go for a leak can be quite a chore. Yer one obviously hasn’t a clue.

funnily enough, If i had to pinpoint the drug that was of least benefit to me i would have to say it was hash/grass.
I smoked it every day (more or lesss) for about 15 years and i think it did have an effect.
i can quite easily see how psychosis can occur from overuse as it got to the stage where i wasnt sure if i was stoned or was just imagining various scenarios like you would do when really stoned.
my short term memory is not great either and i didnt really achieve much .
But… like i said i wouldnt change the experience,or the friends i got from that period of my life.
on the other hand I would wholeheartedly recomend Ecstacy for everyone as every single time I’ve taken it i have enjoyed it immensely. i like a bit of a dance so that helps i’m sure.

speed is like cider:cheap and cheerfull .
coke is like budweiser:for arseholes only
heroin: never gonna find out but it doesnt look good
mescalin: a very intersting drug and undervalued
lcd: very very dangerous drug and should be approached with caution
mushrooms: a giggle and cost freepence.
ketamine: its a horse tranquilliser so whadda ye expect!
i think thats it.

1 Like

[quote=“josepi73”]mescalin: a very intersting drug and undervalued
[/quote]

i’ll second that…

Whats this mesculin lads…never heard of it

u need to watch fear and loathing in las vegas…

I heard that debate. Yer one was Grainne Kenny, a fully paid up member of th fun police from an organisation called Europe Against Drugs. She made no sense and resorted to shouting to try and win the argument. Sadly its people like her who are now deciding the liquor laws also. Luke Flanagan, the “Ming the Merciless” lad from Roscommon or somewhere was on against her and making far more sense.