Is canabis a gateway drug?

I think its all about the person more so than the drugs. Know plenty of lads who smoked their way through college who never went on to anything stronger and dont really use anything now.

On the flip side a guy I got to know (who I knew would have been a heavy hash user in his day) over the last 18 months killed himself at the start of the year - inquest found huge levels of E and coke in his system. He became a heavy drinker over the years and needed something to counteract the depressants - hash wouldnt work any more so on he went to E - maybe not a gateway but a stepping stone.

If people have an addictive personality then theyā€™re more likely to move onto something stronger. Have a couple of mates now who cant get through a night out any more without having a spliff. Dont have a problem with it but do think its kinda sad.

absolutely right there josepi, Iā€™ve often been offered 32 inch tellys but Iā€™ve always turned it down !!! 8)

every time Iā€™ve tried hash or any derivatives Iā€™ve always puked and fell asleep, so itā€™s not for me

now the pills you got 8 or 10 years ago were fantastic but I wouldā€™nt bother now iā€™m too old for that malarkey

Have a read of The Doors of Perception and youā€™ll find out all about mescaline.

[quote=ā€œjosepi73ā€]
on the other hand I would wholeheartedly recomend Ecstacy for everyone as every single time Iā€™ve taken it i have enjoyed it immensely. i like a bit of a dance so that helps iā€™m sure.

.[/quote]

While pills are indeed absolutely great fun, they can lead to depression/panic attacks etc. in some people and I can tell you that those arenā€™t any fucking fun at all.

From my experience: I wanted to try harder drugs and did BUT it was smoking hash/grass fairly regularly that made me think ā€œhey, well this is fine so letā€™s try something elseā€. Did mushrooms a few times. But once I tried Eā€¦I fell in love. So for me cannabis was a gateway drug but I have the personality that I was always gonna start smoking it anyway.

For the record, Guinness and the odd fag are my drugs of choice for the last 3years. We simply donā€™t have the climate for drugs here IMOā€¦

I love a smoke, so foookin relaxing, used to love training on a friday night and having a smoke and talking shit after.

Do it less and less now due to other priorities.

I do think weed is a gateway drug because

• puts you in touch with dealers
  • opens your mind i.e. if weed is this good how fookin good are pills

Iv tried most things, most I wouldnt do a second time.

Mushrooms gave me the worst head fook of all time, did em in states, woke up and we had wrecked the fookin house, absolutely trashed it. We had no recollection of it whatsoever and the ā€˜designated driverā€™ told us we were just talking jibberish to each other for the night. Only other time Id done it had a great night, tripped right off, in a good way.

Pills- what can I say, if every student was given one of these fookin things in there induction pack at college it would kill the drinks industry. 3 or 4 euro and whacked for the night, capable of talking to people, the only crime iv ever committed after pills is talking shite, an unbelievable amount of loved up shite. The come down is bad though, the only reason I havent touched the things in a few years, sore jaw, no sleep, paranoi. The comedown is best served with weed though, lazy sunday morning, not gone to bed yet, watching stupid MTV with a spliff in your hand and the cold bed calling you for a 18 hour strecthā€¦

I know a fella who smoked heroin once, said that years later he hasnt forgotten the feeling, driving home on the wrong side of the road as happy as larry. Enjoyed it so much he was scared to ever go near it again.

Anyone who says weed causes violence is having a laugh, its a wasters drug. The liklihood of you doing anything at all after it is minimial

[quote=ā€œThrawneenā€]
For the record, Guinness and the odd fag are my drugs of choice for the last 3years.[/quote]

No better drugs on the market (black or legal) imo with the exception of Herion, I injected Herion one night, decided it wasnā€™t for me and woke up the next morning with a free travel pass, medical card and better Social Welfare payments than anybody else best high I ever came off.

How do you get your hands on mescalin and how do you take it? I have wanted to try mescalin since I read Aldous Huxleyā€™s The Doors of Perception. A whole book describing a coat hanging on a chair after dropping mescalin.

Mescalinā€™s in peyote right? The stuff the mexicans/american indians use or something? I just remember that Sopranos where Tony does peyote with that chick in Vegasā€¦
Looks like fucking great craic altogether.

I imagine itā€™s right difficult to come upon in this fair isle?

[quote=ā€œdancarterā€]

I do think weed is a gateway drug because

• puts you in touch with dealers
  • opens your mind i.e. if weed is this good how fookin good are pills

l[/quote]

I agree with that.

Itā€™s a gateway drug if you want it to be. Hell of alot of people sample the soft stuff like shrooms, dope, pills without moving on. Obviously youā€™d be curious about Harry but thereā€™s no way Iā€™d touch it, used to work with a guy who scored every lunch time. We worked in Blackrock at the time, he used to Dart it into town to a crack house and Dart back out again to workā€¦ Last time I saw him he came up to me looking for money on Talbot Street and got all embarrassed when we recognised each other. 100% junkie now living with some charitable half way house on the south circular. His dad is a millionaire but had to wash his hands of him.

[quote=ā€œThrawneenā€]While pills are indeed absolutely great fun, they can lead to depression/panic attacks etc. in some people and I can tell you that those arenā€™t any fucking fun at all. QUOTE]

I suffered with panic attacks at night for ages. Heart beating so hard and fast i thought it was going to explode.

I cut pills right out of my life and started smoking heavily, this lead to major paranoia. Not just when stoned, but more so when i wasnt. I was convinced the world was talking about me, looking at me, laughing at me. I ran out of a club once convinced a group of lads were all looking over laughing at meā€¦

Other people have done way more and have not suffered any major side affects. For the moment that is. The damage is still done however, and later in life a lot of these people are going to have major problems but you only respect your health when its too late i suppose. But each to their own.

I would never judge anyone for taking drugs but if any first timer asked my advice i would tell them dont bother your arse, including smoke.

The best highs in life are natural.

ā€œThe best highs in life are natural.ā€
your not wrong there.

i spent 1 night in the coombe hospital round about 1 year ago watching my daughter been born.
it was like the best yoke,strongest skunk & maddest trip I ever took and theres been no comedown off it since. loads of shit everywhere tho. and the babyā€™s crap gets everywhere too!!

mescalin is best enjoyed through peyote buttons which is like flat brown sheep shit.( little known fact. shop on capel street sells a very good derivative)

Iā€™v never samples magic mushrooms but I came across three fellows on a pitch and putt course in west clare one time that were using them. Myself and another fellow were on the 3rd/4th hole and the boys shouted over and asked us could they play thru, we said fine ya no bother. They went to the tee box and one after another teed off imaginary balls and then went on to the green and putted out. As they passed by us one lad pulled out a bag of the stuff and asked us did we want some. We replied in the negative. All three went on to make birdie I believe.

After the round anyway we went in to give back the clubs and the three boys were sitting on the wall as we came in. One lad said to us ā€œCan you get the remote and press play on Timmy thereā€ We looked at Timmy, he was as still as a statue. Whats wrong with him we asked. ā€œHe thinks he is a video recorder and someone is after hitting the pause buttonā€ā€¦they must be crazy things to do them mushrooms.

[quote=ā€œtipptops*ā€]Iā€™v never samples magic mushrooms but I came across three fellows on a pitch and putt course in west clare one time that were using them. Myself and another fellow were on the 3rd/4th hole and the boys shouted over and asked us could they play thru, we said fine ya no bother. They went to the tee box and one after another teed off imaginary balls and then went on to the green and putted out. As they passed by us one lad pulled out a bag of the stuff and asked us did we want some. We replied in the negative. All three went on to make birdie I believe.

After the round anyway we went in to give back the clubs and the three boys were sitting on the wall as we came in. One lad said to us ā€œCan you get the remote and press play on Timmy thereā€ We looked at Timmy, he was as still as a statue. Whats wrong with him we asked. ā€œHe thinks he is a video recorder and someone is after hitting the pause buttonā€ā€¦they must be crazy things to do them mushrooms.[/quote]

Thats fookin hilarious. Mate of mine took em one night on tour, i was sharing a room with him and he was fooked. We went out to the pool of the hotel and there was a massive frog water feature at the corner of each pool with
fountan out there mouth. He was having an awful time of it trying to stop the frogs spitting into the pool and he had rounded up a few kids who were hanging around the pool to help him control the frogs. He was seriously freaking out the young lads but they were afraid to desert the frogs.

i was in the pool, almost left my dinner in there I was laughing so bad. For a finish the kids legged it and shortly some parents appeared at which point my mate tried to rope them in on the actā€¦I had to try and explain that he was mentally retarted and to take no notice, they thought I was a sick fook though laughing at my tard friend.

When they go right supposed to be great craic alright but the bad expereince I had put paid to that experiment.

Josepi, you wanna PM the capel st shop? is it one of them head shops ya? have you tried them things?

anyone ever try the ā€˜legal weedā€™ from them shops noā€¦there is a place in temple bar selling bags of it for 35 quid, had it once, not bad, wears off a lot quicker than the real thing alrightā€¦id say they are making millions out of itā€¦literally

trips good, yokes good - trips mixed with yokes very good-

for value for money yokes cant be beaten although you get too old for them

mushrooms good crack too - only ever did the ones from the shops in town - pity they were made illegal

coke is ok but overpriced - seems to be most available now

like anything they are good on the odd occasion but you wouldnt want to be doing them regularly

forgotten about this thread, but it makes interesting reading and poll results interesting too. seems to be near enough 50-50 on all counts, that people think it is a gateway drug, and also 50-50 on those who had cannabis but nothing more. Also interesting to note, that those who had cannabis but not harder drugs think it is a gateway drug. surely if you think that, youā€™d have had the harder drugs, no?

also interesting is that everyone who voted has had drugs of some sort. suppose it would be fairly rare to find anyone who hasnt tried something before.

am i the only member on here not to ever have taken an illegal substanceā€¦fuck me i feel like a rock of sense around here nowā€¦

Wait till you go to secondary school and the peer pressure will sort that you

Iā€™m sure drugs will eventually find their way to Clare. But first things first - they need to get a handle on electricity and personal hygiene to begin with.

1 Like

well you mustā€™nt have been to the queens so, which would indicate sense indeed