Is shiny happy people better than how soon is now? The REM thread

Yep, itā€™s a woeful sentence.

Anyway back to matters at hand. Possibly a guilty pleasure given the way most REM fans decry it but I like this song. A lot.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oC7er_6dpsI

2 Likes

Great fucking song

:joy::joy::joy: The Smiths?! A fucking singles band for wanker students

2 Likes

Which one this morning chaps?

1 Like

That Dark was the Night album is pretty decent.

Fables for me.

1 Like

Well spotted

Doesnā€™t say much for REM if they were a poor manā€™s Smiths.

ā€œbut weā€™re still a ways awayā€

Barbie Girl.

I still believe that was an artistic dig at conventional music. Anti music almost. Much like Beefheart in the 60s.

I would place R.E.M. and the Smiths on almost a par with the Athensā€™ lads longevity meaning they win.

Only slightly, slightly, slightly though.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not a guilty pleasure.

Google search ā€˜R.E.M. singlesā€™

:sunglasses:

REM flops.

Iā€™m a massive smiths fan but R.E.M had more range imo. Stayed relevant for a good 15 years too. Out of time was their worst album pre up imo yet it was the first rock album to top us charts for 2 years when it came out.
I donā€™t think grunge would have gotten off the ground without R.E.M. Pixies etc

Document would have to be the best of their albums for me, their angriest, not a weak song on it.
Iā€™ve always thought they oddly were influenced by bands like The Beatles and Beach Boys in that every song seems to be crafted, thereā€™s a logical progression in them. Man on the Moon as Iā€™ve alluded to before on these pages is a perfect example of this.
They just write very very good songs with equal measures of anger and humour, not an easy thing to do.

This thing about grunge not happening without Pixies, REM etc is such a load of cobblers. Yes, Cobain himself said that he ripped off a lot of the Pixies, but grunge was, for the most part, complete shite. Self regarding, self important, insular, boring, trodding shite. It owes more to the prog rock shite from the 70ā€™s than bands like REM and Pixies, who looked outward and didnā€™t take themselves too seriously.

I meant success of, nothing else.

REM stayed together longer so they are better? Not having that - REM never produced anything near as good as Marr did - Lyrically Morriessey was superior - Ifs and buts I suppose.

No more variety marks them out as better as in range. Monster and Aotomatic couldnā€™t be more different style wise yet they are consecutively albums.