Is Your Job Recession Proof?

Have a look at the classified section of any broadsheet and you’ll see how hotels are suffering. “Top-class” hotels offering breaks for e60 per room per night for B&B.

Never been a cheaper time to go on holiday in Ireland. (in the last 5 years)

[quote=“Mac”]Have a look at the classified section of any broadsheet and you’ll see how hotels are suffering. “Top-class” hotels offering breaks for e60 per room per night for B&B.

Never been a cheaper time to go on holiday in Ireland. (in the last 5 years)[/quote]
Glad I dodged that bullet a few years back Mac, I was studying hospitality management, decided to be a college dropout instead and eat pizza.

Knew my time to drop out was halfway through first year when we took a field trip to a well known very cheap **** airport hotel that only had 40% occupancy, that was four years ago! A lot of my ex college mates are on the doll queues at the moment, after a waste of four years.

Next September might be the time for Ben to go back to college, no better time to study than during a downturn.

[quote=“Mac”]Have a look at the classified section of any broadsheet and you’ll see how hotels are suffering. “Top-class” hotels offering breaks for e60 per room per night for B&B.

Never been a cheaper time to go on holiday in Ireland. (in the last 5 years)[/QUOTE]

there is value out there - same with restaurants-

www.dineindublin.ie

cheap meals this week

[quote=“north county corncrake”]there is value out there - same with restaurants-

www.dineindublin.ie

cheap meals this week[/QUOTE]

thats a great idea, think someone posted a link to it before. Also saw this high life card or something, 50 quid a year but it gets you half price grub in hundreds of resteraunts in Dublin

Never been a cheaper time to go on holiday in Ireland. (in the last 5 years)[/QUOTE]

Myself and the girlfriend stayed in a fairly well known hotel in Limerick recently for 50 B&B for a double room.

[quote=“north county corncrake”]there is value out there - same with restaurants-

www.dineindublin.ie

cheap meals this week[/QUOTE]

I was in London with work a few weeks ago and got a gorgeous 3 course Thai meal for 15. 15 fookin pounds. The same meal in a Thai restaurant in Dublin would have set me back around 30. We’re being ripped off bigtime over here. Restaurants still charging outrageous prices.

The one above is a good initiative but you can still get a 3 course early bird menu in a good city centre restaurant for less than 20 quid.

Did you do study accounting at one stage, Ben?* How did that go?

• I’m possibly talking guff here.

[quote=“Mac”]I was in London with work a few weeks ago and got a gorgeous 3 course Thai meal for 15. 15 fookin pounds. The same meal in a Thai restaurant in Dublin would have set me back around 30. We’re being ripped off bigtime over here. Restaurants still charging outrageous prices.

The one above is a good initiative but you can still get a 3 course early bird menu in a good city centre restaurant for less than 20 quid.[/QUOTE]

Where was that Thai restaurant?

London, I believe.

Out in Hammersmith. Can’t remember the name. About 4 mins walk from the tube station. Restaurant was built onto the side of a pub.

http://www.merrionhotel.com/page.php?pid=228

you & bandage should take advantage of this special offer over lunch - they are virtually giving it away

I’m not going to lunch with a geek like carter who actually reads the boring policy documents that get sent around on email in work.

[quote=“north county corncrake”]http://www.merrionhotel.com/page.php?pid=228

you & bandage should take advantage of this special offer over lunch - they are virtually giving it away[/QUOTE]

Thats a fair come down for them I’d say.

IM sorry bandage, but in these recessionary times I am just trying to give our employer as much value for money as they can get. Some would say my redoubled efforts are keeping you in a job.

You are welcome. :smiley:

Losing your touch.

[quote=“Mac”]I was in London with work a few weeks ago and got a gorgeous 3 course Thai meal for 15. 15 fookin pounds. The same meal in a Thai restaurant in Dublin would have set me back around 30. We’re being ripped off bigtime over here. Restaurants still charging outrageous prices.

The one above is a good initiative but you can still get a 3 course early bird menu in a good city centre restaurant for less than 20 quid.[/QUOTE]

I’d agree with that, at least since I discovered you don’t take your pick off the a la carte for the dineindublin offer. Bit of a gimmick really. Will still probably hit somewhere like Saba at the weekend though, in the kind of lads meal that Bandage wouldn’t approve of.

2 rooms in a well known limerick hotel supposidely 4 star but should barely be 3 star at weekend for 20 euro each for 2 rooms with 4 in each room… mid week prices are unreal

Potentially gay behaviour.

Keep flying the flag there Bandage

gman i’m very sorry to hear that news. Things are extremely tight in that line of business (i should know), and it’s difficult to see where it’ll all end. You were sound enough a few months ago to give me great advice when i was out of work but i don’t know what advice to give you in the same situation.

The obvious thing for you to do is emmigrate but that doesn’t seem an option with your personal situation. It’s a great time to start up something yourself but maybe that won’t work either, it’s hard to see where you’d get the contacts the way things are gone. You’d be a better judge than me. The one thing i would say is don’t be slow to try your hand at something completely different, if it’s only for a while, even if it’s less attractive or profitable than what you’d be doing. Best of luck anyway with whatever you decide.