Is Your Job Recession Proof?

Sorry to read about that Gaillimh.

shite news alright. everywhere is fooked at this stage.

Ah balls man. Hope things work out for you.

Sorry to hear that Gaillimh. There’s still jobs out there up around Dublin if you want to stay around.

sorry to hear that GA, best of luck and I hope it works out for you

Bad break Galwayagain. I hope you have some of those poker winnings stashed away.

I mentioned a while back that I voted for ‘Probably, I should be okay’ last year when the thread was first set up and I still reckon that stands. But it’s by no means certain and I wouldn’t discount the possibility of a few of us being let go. I was actually thinking what I’d do in the circumstances, and whether I’d try to stick it out up here and get a new job straight away or piss off back down to Wexford for a while.

Best of luck Gaillimh, shite news. It’s happening right, left and centre but sure that’s no consolation.

It’s frightening to think that things are about to get a whole lot messier yet.

I’m probably in the same situation. I reckon I’d try and stick around for a month or 2 and see if I could come across any work. Failing that I’d be on my way back to Mooncoin

Catching this thread a bit late.

I was let go from my previous job about four months ago. Went straight back out immediately (the next day) to get another and luckily I did. I was told last week that I had to take a pay cut but to be honest it doesn’t bother me in the slighest. I am not motivated by money but the feeling that you have no job to go to in the morning out of nowhere is not one I would wish on my worst enemy. Horrible.

I have mates who went travelling a year ago and are coming back looking for jobs at the moment and are getting absolutely nowhere. No interviews - nothing.

It is seriously bleak out there and I pity anyone looking at the moment. I, like many other no doubt, am just keeping the head down and working away.

Finished third level in a couple of months and there is absolutely nothing out there for graduates, in any discipline…Most companies have done away with graduate positions…

Looking like that I might have to look abroad for to get a start in anything some bit relavent to my qualification

Not sure how mine will pan out over the next few months so i’m actually being productive at work for a change. I’d say productivity has never been as good in most places.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Catching this thread a bit late.

It is seriously bleak out there and I pity anyone looking at the moment. I, like many other no doubt, am just keeping the head down and working away.[/quote]

I’d be relatively lucky in that I’m the only one doing my job, and it’s an essential job at the moment. They employ about 70 and have recently expanded to take over another office of 10 so that’s about 80 in total. I reckon they would have to go bust (not beyond the releams of possibilty I suppose) before I would be let go. But as Farmers says, it’s all about keeping the head down and getting on with it. I would have been due a pay increase as part of my contract when I joined but doesn’t look like I’ll be getting that now.

A relation of mine works for a multinational who let a couple of hundred staff go a few months ago…Said that there was no real need for the job cuts but they just saw it as a chance to get rid of a few of the slackers who were there just tapping the clock for the day…

Is it a bad time to go looking for a raise? Seriously.

Yeah it’s fierce important that people understand that side of it. This is a great opportunity fo bigger firms to push through things people wouldn’t have stood for six months ago. Jesus, a few of the articles I’ve seen in the ft, they way they go on it’s like the best thing that ever happened.

finished college in may headed stateside for summer still looking for job in relevant field… if id seen ahead probably wouldnt of gone to states and would of picked up a job over the summer before the slump really hit

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]
I, like many other no doubt, am just keeping the head down and working away.[/quote]

I would have thought that with the recession and with companies looking to tighten up that lads in your line of work would be in demand farmer ?

the days of picking up an aul job for the summer are gone son, they are with O Leary.

Lads, whats the general advice for someone looking to move jobs in times like these? Would you advise them to hold what they have or bite the bullet and move if they’ve been looking to move for a good while now?