IT Professionals, Guilty

May well do art. I’ll see what copper reckons also. Fagan is right as usual.

Thanks a million esteban, I’ll likely go for one of those.

No worries, horse.

1 Like

@flattythehurdler

This looks decent value.

Has a better processor than the surface you linked above.
Has a 256GB SSD and 8GB ram.

This stylus seems to be compatible based on the reviews

3 Likes

You are a gent, thanks.

@Copper_pipe I’ve been looking at buying a new laptop. Was wondering about these SSD drives. I know they’re supposed to give much faster boot times. What other advantage(s) do they have?

Would you recommend also buying an external drive for storage? The reason I ask s that my current machine had a 600Gb HDD partitioned into 2 x 300Gb drives - C and D. OS being on the C: drive. I used the D: drive for documents, pictures etc and yet the C: drive, admittedly after a few years, was down to about 80Gb of free space. Any programs I installed were installed on the C: drive but they wouldn’t have been excessive - Office, AV, Malwarebytes, CCleaner and a few bits and pieces. I regularly ran CCleaner to clean it up so I couldn’t figure out what was taking the space. So I’d be concerned a machine with just a 256Gb SSD might run out of free space before too long.

bump for @Copper_pipe

Flash drives have better performance all round. Faster read and write times, they enhance programme performance on disk access

A good strategy would be an ssd for os and storage intensive apps where you need good performance and a high capacity sata (cheap) for static files and objects and less performance reliant apps.

Most laptops should have a slot for a second disk drive. I’d prefer an internal than an external personally

External is ok for backups etc.

Thanks @anon78624367. Internal would be preferable to external but how tech proficient would someone have to be to install that or would it be better to have it installed by some techie person?

You can order one with such a configuration

1 Like

Sorry @TheBlackSpot . I forgot to reply to your initial post.

What sort of performance do you want from the new machine? Is it mainly Microsoft Office or will you be needing something a little more powerful?

No doesn’t need to be too high performance. Word, Excel, email, surfing, streaming a match sometimes. Nothing too special though I’d like it to be future proofed to some extent. Laptop I have is decent enough for example but at Win 10 upgrade I couldn’t install 10 because of a hardware conflict with the wifi card and had to replace it.

https://www.box.co.uk/NX.EFREK.010-Acer-Extensa-15_2612002.html

This looks decent value for around a monkey.

1 Like

I don’t think it has a slot for a HDD.

Wondered about that. Looking at this one. Seems to have SSD and another hdd.
CD drives seem to be a thing of the past as well.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-17-3000-17-3-intel-core-i5-laptop-1-tb-hdd-128-gb-ssd-silver-10189731-pdt.html

@TreatyStones etc, looking for a work laptop with decent storage and can handle the likes of cad etc?

Are you concerned about screen size v portability? Is the standard 15.6" screen ok?

Yeah standard screen preferably

Lads, where is the best place to pick up a semi decent or 2nd hand monitor and how much should I be paying? It’s for a home office so doesn’t need to be top of the range or anything

Assume you are connecting a laptop to it? If so are you using VGA, HDMI or Display-port?

100 quid will get you something decent.