IT Professionals, Guilty

Are they not even on a LAN?

Nope.

Basically, they are connected to a machine which is controlled by an application on the PC.

The PCs use Win 7 and the application wont run on Windows 10 according to the Vendor.

I used to use norton ghost image back in the day when I was working on physical machines. That was more for loading an image onto physical disks. Youd install one OS, ghost it, then copy it onto multiple machines from the image.

Slow cunting work though, and it burned them to CD’s :joy:

I presume you can use USB external HDD’s now though, in this day an age

Think there’s a built in option in Windows 7.
On the machine, go to the Control panel.
There’s an option there about backup and recovery (or similar)
There should be an option in there to create a system image as a backup.

I have the childer learning to program on Scratch. Preparing them for the lockdown in 2041-2044.

Anyone here use Teams voice? Is it any good?

My employer is making the decision to retire the Internal Phone System. (Nortel). We are making the switch to Microsoft Teams voice so that both internal and Internal calls can be made via teams voice.

Everyone would have previously had a Dect Phone but from now on we will either make a call using the Teams app on the work laptop or we can download the teams app to our personal phones… (Fuck that)

Haven’t used teams but I’d say whoever has to maintain the internal phone exchange is fucking delighted. The cabling is the stuff nightmares are made of.

It was running off a Windows XP PC i’m told :slight_smile:

I haven’t done Teams voice but have done migrations to similar cloud based pbx options. A way better job. As @EstebanSexface says the old nortel systems were a fuckin nightmare to maintain.

One of my first projects as a green horn was to sort out the cabling on an exchange that had been left to grow organically. I thought about a career change

The main cost is the hundreds or handsets needed, generic SIP such as Polycom. The billing with teams is a balls I believe, you pay monthly subscriptions either for local/national/mobile or an International subscription with costs more. Everyone needs international these days so that will add up. Ability for your mobile to dual fork with the desk phone is important too.

Nortel were poor for functionality but reliable as fuck.

1 Like

We’ve gone to Webex and it is excellent.

When you say cloud based, does that mean all the infrastructure for your internal telephony is off site?

As in no pbx whatsoever? What if you need to make an external call? I presume teams works on a client to client protocol?

Clients provision up to teams SIP servers, and calls are routed up to there and breakout to carriers from Microsoft. VOIP can handle delays of up to 150ms before things turn to shit, a ping from Cork/limerick to Dublin should only be 20ms at most over a decent connection. It means your phone isn’t tied physically to a LAN and you could take it home and it will work away.

You have have a local service that can manage extension to extension calling locally if internet connection goes down, but between backup links and everyone having a mobile it’s not much of an issue nowdays.

1 Like

Teams voice is good, been using it for a few weeks. Found it great on the phone to dial into meetings while driving, nipping out early etc

Is teams just extending Skype for business? Or is it completely different. Skype for business was already used for internal telephony in lots of places

Dungeon this shit.

Completely different, Skype was pure shite. You needed alot of onsite servers for Skype to handle telephony.

Do you actually need the handsets though?
We removed all handsets bar a few in offices and meetings rooms last year.
A way better job. All done via softphone or mobile app now.

I haven’t seen or used a desk phone in years.