J1 - Summer in the Sun

20-22 are the real years to go. Good few have missed out on that already.

Keep saying it we owe them lads an apology when this is over.

1 Like

A rite of passage. Painting houses in Bwoston for an ex pat and kicking a bit of ball. Living in a shithole with about a dozen lads and lasses. My first time being informed by a lovely Tyrone princess that ‘we left them behind’. She forgave me anyway. God bless you Saoirse. You and your magnificent rack.

11 Likes

I came back from a few years in London and Oz and was home a few weeks when I decided NY was the next step.It was fuckin impossible to get lads to leave mammy behind.Only 2 of us went and,said we’d give it a year,I stayed 10 and the other lad 9.Best thing i ever done.

12 Likes

Why did you leave NY

My oldest was born there,we were never staying there for good anyways so rather than have her start creche/preschool etc we pulled the plug.

5 Likes

Yeah the pull of home is always there, a big adjustment after 10 years I’d say

Massive

3 Likes

Had you papers?

The states is fine for making a few quid until you need education or healthcare.

2 Likes

I know a share of people in the states, they all seem to have done well for themselves and are living the American dream

Healthcare is the main one once you’ve kids.I was lucky enough to be a member of Local 1 when I wanted to.

A buddy of mine came back from Canada for same reason once one of his kids got sick. Had very little protection and huge eye opener

I thought Canada had free healthcare

So did he - I don’t think they were the most legal

I moved to New York in 2012 and said I’d give it a year or two till it picked up at home, still here

8 Likes

How’d you get a visa. Or did you.

I won the green card lottery in 2011, then took a year doing all the paperwork

2 Likes

I didn’t think that was still a thing

Still around, Trump tried to get rid of it alright, might be a bit different now

https://dvprogram.state.gov/

1 Like

You’re asking that chancer @Massey …A myriad of reasons…

The Leitrim GAA lotto was won 3 weeks out of 10 in NY by a punter from Manor.
They were going for the 4 in a row at home and he saw his name in lights.
Barney Breen had taken over the reins at County manager.
Fat Felim Gurn had been elected a Councillor, planning permissions were widespread.

He was the ultimate opportunist.

3 Likes