J1 - Summer in the Sun

Went over in the 90s once. Best summer of my life. Incredible scenes.

1 Like

I’d still go over if I could.

2 Likes

Best summer of my life. There was no Facebook or whatever, no mobiles just ringing home every week or two. I couldn’t have been happier.

There seems to be lots of hoops to jump through now and lots more expense. Many seem to get the two year visa to Canada and just use it for the summer instead.

3 Likes

I honestly debate trying to move over there every few days. Far away hills and all that but I love it any time I’m over there.

Getting a visa would be tricky for me though

I’d give anything to live there for a few years, even one year in California. There’s just so much to see and do. Will have to wait til retirement I’d say.

1 Like

I made about 1200 dollars a week there in 2002. In nantucket which is a very high end spot, cost of living there would have been impossible if not living in an absolute tenement. Savage money to be made landscaping which mainly involved cutting lawns weekly in massive mainly unoccupied holiday homes, worked for an Irish American who had a maintenance contract for 100 odd of these places. It never rained so cutting the lawn was a handy enough number.

2 Likes

cash in hand ? Nice earner

1 Like

I rented paddle and sail boats. Did summer camps three days a week too teaching spoilt brats how to sail. They had crazy golf there too! Was in Montauk NY.

1 Like

Nantucket eh
There was an Old Man of Nantucket
Who kept all his cash in a bucket
His daughter, named Nan,
Ran away with a man—
And, as for the bucket, Nantucket

3 Likes

He used to pay us by a cheque so maybe he was paying some tax for us but I doubt it. Would get about 1k for the lawns and then caddy some evening I’d finish early or one of the weekend days. Some lads would caddy 7 days a week sometimes twice a day if you were a right hungry cunt and they were really cleaning up. There wouldn’t want to have been a breatheliser for the caddys

1 Like

I spent a summer in Chicago when I was 19 and lived there for two years subsequently, a few years later. Two more college summers spent in Munich in BMW and labouring. Earned decent enough money, but money not the point of the experience. Best days of my life. In a bubble, living life to the full and not a care in the world.

11 Likes

Wildwood 99. Scenes.

7 Likes

Wildwood 2003 creating unnecessary scenes

2 Likes

Where Americas scum went on holidays :joy:.

Edit: twas never about the money, twas the experience of it all. I had a well paid construction job for the summers in Ireland in those years.

3 Likes

I’d say they were landscaping your arse.

20 bucks an hour for 60 hours a week?? Money and hours too big. Well, you could knock out the hours maybe. Think I was only getting around 350-400 a week but never about the money.

White thrash from Philly up for the weekend … schemozzles…

Did the J1 the first year which was the biggest waste of money of all time.

Worked in construction both times.

Summer in San Fran was incredible. I plead with the young lads around here to go if they can.

Few lads have missed the boat. You don’t get them days back unfortunately.

2 Likes

That window from 18 - 25 is precious. Youth wasted on the young and all that.

2 Likes

I was getting paid 800 a week and free accommodation and the promise of $3k at end of summer for playing football … got sacked from job for missing days and the football went south too … had just enough left on my phonecard to ring the aul lad to tell him to be there to collect me in Dublin airport … not a shilling had I left… great craic though …

12 Likes