Joe Canning, Unquestionably the GOAT

Dowling is a lovely chap, I believe him

A 17 year old Ronan Lynch was Na Piarsaigh’s best player that night.

1 Like

Didn’t Mcentee get a run with Galway late enough in his career?

Alan Dempsey was by as much as you want

2 Likes

Minor was the time for any decent player to peak

He got a brief run under McIntyre when he was 30 or 31, as far as I remember.

1 Like

He played against Waterford in the 2009 QF, his only appearance I think.

Yup. Another one that we let slip with missed goal chances and stupid wides. Davy started Mullane on McEntee, but he got fuck all change off him to be fair.

Mcentee was a very good club full back for years but big Dan done him up like a kipper late in 09 and it probably lost us the game. Pity he didn’t channel his inner butcher under that dropping ball.

He did. Was used badly by that MacIntyre

Alan Dempsey was our best and most consistent player over all the recent years of our success, in my opinion. A super player who kept us in games when the chips were down.

4 Likes

Who wasn’t.

That’s a very fair point.

Can’t last long

Only played a handful of games for Galway iirc

First half lovely flicks, second half Where’s Wally on a pitch

1 Like

Played really well for 65 minutes until Big Dan came on and played puck. Joes brother was marking Mullane as far as I remember. Kept him scoreless until the final score of the game.

2 Likes

Big Dan made clean shit of us in about 10 mins. Very hot day from what I recall.

I think it was only in watching that little clip RTE showed yesterday that it dawned on me how much I’ll miss Canning playing. He made the extraordinary look so routine. As a player, he’s produced so many incredible moments. I think I probably criticized him a little too much at times, but I like to think it was always in the context of his incredible ability. Some of his individual displays, often in losing efforts, were outstanding. He often carried Galway. I dont think it’s an exaggeration to say he is one of the 3 or 4 best I’ve ever seen

2 Likes

You are like an uninformed child ffs.

Don’t even be mentioning that Dowling tub in the same breath as Canning or Callinan ffs.

5 Likes