Joe Canning, Unquestionably the GOAT

Callinan doesn’t belong in the same boat as Canning either mate.

You’re up early looking for attention. A bit emotional and lashing out after yesterday I see.

He’s a good few steps up the ladder in comparison to the Tub.

:rofl::rofl:

He’s no where near Canning, not even in the conversation.

I didn’t mention callinan but he had to bring him into it for some reason. Desperately trying to make tipp relevant.

Are Portumna still senior ??

Seamus Callinan though

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

The best score I saw Canning get was a point in the second half of the 2018’all Ireland final .

He was taking a sideline under the hogan stand about 60 metres out . Did a chip pass to a Galway player and took return in stride and straight over the bar

2 Likes

Senior B but heading in the wrong direction. They’ve done nothing underage for years.

Would I be right in thinking aside from that golden generation there wouldn’t be much history of success in Portumna

1 Like

Lorrha used to laugh at the them. Lorrha!

Nothing. They first started making waves in the late 80’s with a few good underage teams, backboned by Frankie Canning, Davy Canning and Damien Coleman. They won three minor A’s and a B in the 90’s but nothing since.
Sean Canning, the father, hurled with Killimor in the 70’s winning a junior with them in 1975 and transferred back to Portumna when the adult team reformed and he won another Junior in 82 with them.
We had some great battles with them in the late eighties and early 90’s in intermediate and they finally went up in 92.
I’ve said it a while now, they’ll be intermediate again before long. There is a bit of rugby and soccer in the town also which pulls from them a bit.

10 Likes

Lorrha has a small pick and they have managed to consistently provide top class intercounty hurlers to Tipperary. They have a lot to be proud of.

There were so many little moment of genius from him that you’d almost forget half of them. The brother only reminded me this morning of the sideline he hit like an exocet missile straight into the paw of a sprinting Joseph Cooney who scored a point from it. Cooney didn’t even have to break stride. Joe practically placed the ball in his hand from a sideline. I think that was only last year.

13 Likes

I wonder could the right management team coax him back. It behoves all Galwegians to picket his house.

4 Likes

He will surely now put something back in to local community and hurl for Claughaun for a year or two

5 Likes

Nearly all the rural clubs there in south east Galway are struggling for numbers. Amalgamations galore at underage. Beagh and Kilbeacanty. Killimor and Meelick Eyrecourt. Portumna struggling at their level. Those places are so far away from Galway itself that they are not part of the commuter belt for the city that other clubs closer to Galway will benefit from. Hard to see how that changes unless some club happens across a golden crop like Portumna did.

2 Likes

You can add Seán Treacy in there as well.

2 Likes