Joe Canning, Unquestionably the GOAT

I’d add to this, that there isn’t really any wild country above the clifden road til well out past moycullen which is effectively a suburb now.

Aha… Yes, there was an edge to the place.

I was such an arty farty ponce that I was renting this kind of stuff at the time…

The Sacrifice

Would that current moycullen football team have many blowins or are they from local stock? Some pick now.

I thought it was wild enough but a while since I was there now. I trained with them once midweek when I was in college. Sound lads

1 Like

I did get the impression he was from sound stock. Mind you, we are talking a short enough phonecall ten plus years ago…

1 Like

Pretty much unheard of, you’d have smaller ‘independent’ clubs like Carrigeen, Threecastles & Cloneen where an exceptional underage player might be given blessing to join the ‘superior’ neighbour e.g. Sean Meally (hardly high profile).

There was talk from time to time of other high profile players from junior/inter being lured to city senior clubs, most plausible one was Dermot Maher(Paulstown) to the Village; didn’t materialise.

High profile transfers have been to outside the county, Denis Byrne to Mullinahone was a clanger!
Eamonn Morrissey also outside the county.

2 Likes

The population of moycullen I’d reckon is 80% people born outside the parish. If you turn left or right, especially right at the crossroads, the estates run in for miles, where there were none thirty years ago. It’s massive.

Not true in Kilkenny.

I pitched up there once a few years back when I was home. I didn’t know anyone but trained with them and loved it. They were great. I was the worst there by a chalk.

He may well have moved to the city long term. Best way of meeting folk and making a life is by joining the local club. As long as it’s genuine, it should be encouraged imo.

1 Like

Thanks very much. More fascinating information.

I guess in counties where football is also really strong there is a need for pragmatic accomodations to be made.

Dullaghan.

There’d be nothing said about county standard players moving up to better clubs.

Added to that the majority of Galway clubs are one code only, any rule based on proximity is disregarded if switching to a new code.

1 Like

I meant people will continue to know where parish boundaries are, even if they lose all traction for GAA purposes.

Callan Windgap ones a few years ago fairly high profile or did they go through after?

I think BC has helped maintain club discipline in KK by being clear that hurling junior is no impediment. In Galway I reckon it probably is, and this was my major issue with MoD who didn’t seem to scour the county.

2 Likes

Someone will always know.

1 Like

John Hanbury on the 2017 winning team is RNC. Underrated player I thought. Drifted away after 2018 due to work demands I think. Still only 28.

5 Likes

Kilkenny junior is a very good standard also compared to most counties

Ya his home is in tonabrockey only over the hill.
Tony Og was the other. Again I thought unfairly maligned. Superb club hurler who did his utmost for Galway

Yes, quite a few from Castlecomer Road, say, go to St Canice’s NS and naturally gravitate to Dicksboro. The 'Boro would also have lads from the parish of Freshford, Threecastles end, for the same reason.

I would not go at all for ‘two up, two down’… Too feverish.

1 Like